The grant proposal writing process is an essential activity for all grant-seeking NGOs. While all donor agencies request proposals, the grant writing process actually helps in planning, preparing and delivering results for your projects. But developing proposals can be challenging if you do not have the access to the tools, knowledge and resources.
This proposal writing guide will assist you in getting a complete understanding of the proposal writing process, what types of tools and resources you need to write the proposal and what knowledge you need to acquire for it.
This guide aims to:
- Provide holistic understandings of the grant application process, the purpose of the project proposal and its parts, and tips on proposal writing.
- Assist international development workers in applying for grants from institutional donors, including private foundations, government embassies and development agencies.
- Increase the quality of grant applications for projects around the world.
This guide is designed to support:
- Those new to proposal writing
- Local and grassroots NGOs in developing countries
- International development workers and fundraisers
- Experienced proposal writers looking for a guide that provides holistic coverage of all proposal- related topics
- Those interested in the general requirements of proposal writing
As this is a beginner’s guide to proposal writing, there is no focus on any particular sector or donor. Thus, while technical details are provided wherever possible, they are limited in favor of general tips. However, specific cases such as technical requirements from the European Commission are used throughout the guide for reference purposes. The end of this guide also concludes with selections from actual proposals which can serve as models for others.