We Animals Media is now accepting applications for the second annual Animal Photojournalism Fellowship Program.
Guided by Founder and Photojournalist Jo-Anne McArthur and the We Animals Media team, the Fellowship will support one Fellow to cover a photo story about animals used for food, a subject significantly underreported in the media.
About the Fellowship
The program will support the Fellow in the following:
- Story development, execution and shooting technique
- How to investigate animal industries
- Promotion of a completed project
- Using networks and developing partnerships
- The Fellow will work remotely with Jo-Anne McArthur over a series of meetings beginning in May/June 2023 for around 6 months.
- The fellow will receive funding to cover project costs and a stipend for the duration of the Fellowship totalling $6,500 CAD.
- The Fellowship is open to those with a track record of shooting high quality animal photojournalism, and who would benefit from professional guidance on their craft.
- Proposals: Applicants must have a clearly defined project pitch that may not otherwise be completed without WAM’s support. The focus of the proposal must be on animals used for food, and must have a beginning and an end. This can be a project that you have already started and need support to finish.
- Timeframe: Applicants must be able to commit to the length and time commitment of the Fellowship. The 2023 Fellowship will run for around 6 months and will roughly require 2-3 hours per month during the planning and promotional stages, as well as time in the field. The Fellow must commit to executing their project within the timeframe of the Fellowship.
- Applicants must apply as individuals, share animal liberation values and must speak English at a minimum intermediate level. They are especially interested in proposals from those based in or who regularly travel to Asia or Latin America.
- Note: there is opportunity for the focus and details of the project to shift during the Fellowship, and some flexibility in timeline.
- They encourage candidates of all backgrounds and identities to apply and they look forward to reviewing your applications.
For more information, visit We Animals Media.