The Jan Suraaj Young Leaders (JSYL) Program is now open for applications. It is a one-of-a-kind experiential learning opportunity in Bihar that aims to acquaint selected young individuals with the ropes of grassroots politics.
It is a program built for zealous young individuals interested in participating and learning from active political movements who are committed to the cause of strengthening Indian democracy.
At the Jan Suraaj Young Leaders Program, they believe transformational change happens when Sahi log (right people), Sahi soch (right thought), and Samuhik prayaas (collective action) come together.
Selected individuals will join as (a) Fellows. The Fellowship offers a monthly stipend of Rs 50,000 for Fellows. Additionally, the Fellowship provides rent-free accommodation and transport.
Duration: The maximum duration of the Fellowship is 11 months. The Fellows who are selected for shorter period (6 months) are eligible to extend their tenure up to 11 months.
Location: At present, the Fellowship is based only out of Bihar, India.
- Professional Development & Mentorship: The Fellowship will organise a leadership speaker series which allows the Fellows to engage with top thought leaders of India focusing on building critical analytical and functional skills necessary to create and amplify positive social impact.
- Certificate of Completion & Letter of Recommendation: The Fellowship will organise a leadership speaker series which allows the Fellows to engage with top thought leaders of India focusing on building critical analytical and functional skills necessary to create and amplify positive social impact.
- Post-fellowship Alumni Network: Fellows will be part of a post-fellowship Alumni Network, which will include experts, grassroots leaders, and academicians from diverse geographical and professional backgrounds.
- Work closely for planning and execution of Jan Suraaj Padayatra, a 3000km footmarch panning across Bihar.
- Travel across multiple districts of Bihar to identify pressing household and community-level issues through focus group discussions and in-depth interviews at the panchayat level.
- Analyse findings from the primary research and integrate them with rigorous secondary research to produce actionable insights.
- Ideate, design, and execute various on-ground social outreach campaigns. Develop and implement innovative on-ground and digital communications strategies
- Willing to relocate to Bihar and comfortable with relocating within the state frequently.
- Ability to comfortably stay/live in a remote setting for a continued period.
- Has the spirit to take up new challenges and work both independently and in a team as per requirement.
- Prior experience in a similar role or rural setting is highly preferred.
- Is in possession of a laptop.
- Academics & Work Experience: A recognised bachelor’s degree in any discipline with preferably 0-3 years of work experience. (Note: Discretion lies with the organisation as per the relevance of experience)
- Language: Fluency in English or Hindi. Desirable: Bihar regional language: Maithili, Bhojpuri etc.
- Professional Skills: Proficient in using professional productivity tools including Microsoft Office.
For more information, visit Jan Suraaj.