The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) are excited to invite nominations/applications for the 2nd iteration of the 2021 Pathfinder Award for Innovation in Nature Conservation.
The Pathfinder Award is designed to recognise outstanding solutions for protected and conserved areas developed and implemented by individuals, organisations or groups.
The 2021 Pathfinder Award seeks initiatives focused on sites with innovative, integrated approaches to protected and conserved area management that successfully conserve nature while making development gains related to:
- Identify and showcase a growing global suite of innovations and solutions from protected and conserved areas that demonstrate success and inspire further action;
- Recognise and reward those individuals or groups/organisations that have achieved these successes;
- Incentivise the adaptation and replication of these solutions more widely;
- Reinforce policy messages related to quality, equity, and performance of protected and conserved areas within global frameworks and commitments;
- Highlight the work of leading agencies and global partners (governments, conservation agencies, civil society) in achieving solutions;
- Raise the profile of protected and conserved areas and systems, and their stakeholders; and
- Encourage further support and investment in applying successful approaches.
- Public recognition and acknowledgement which can then be used to motivate and inspire others. The award ceremonies will be held either in person or virtually at the CBD COP15 meeting in Kunming, China between 15 and 28 October 2021, at the UNFCCC COP26 in Glasgow, UK between 1 and 12 November 2021 and at the UNCCD COP15 in 2022.
- A financial prize of US$ 10,000 will be awarded to each of four winners within the set categories.
- The Pathfinder Award certificate and a plaque.
- Possible participation in a training programme or mentorship, including the IUCN Green List of Protected Areas Programme, if not already a candidate or listed site.
- Opportunity to receive in-kind technical support or membership of a network, including IUCN WCPA and IUCN Green List.
- Potential opportunity for keynote participation in a global, regional, or digital PANORAMA event.
- Further promotion and visibility: All complete submissions that meet PANORAMA’s ‘criteria for solutions’ will be published on the web platform, regardless of their success in the award process.
The winners, runners-up, as well as other select nominees and their work may be featured on the relevant UNDP and IUCN websites and in a range of other promotional material, social media sites, or printed material.
- The applicant/nominee(s) must be an individual or group/organisation that works within or represents a protected or conserved area and their constituents and stakeholders (e.g., rangers, park managers, directors, local leaders, members of communities, and advocates).
- Innovation and initiative must be completed with clear results, or under implementation with a certain level of accomplishment. Innovative ideas that are not yet fully developed and/or implemented are not eligible for the award.
- All categories of protected and conserved areas are eligible including community and private conservation areas, and areas conserved by indigenous peoples and local communities. There are no restrictions related to the protected area management, ownership, or governance types.
- Any person or a group can be nominated by those who are sufficiently familiar with their work and with the full approval of the nominee(s). Self-nominations are welcome and encouraged.
For more information, visit https://www.iucn.org/commissions/world-commission-protected-areas/about/awards/pathfinder-award-innovation-nature-conservation