Deadline: 24 April 2020
The Facebook Journalism Project (FJP) is launching the FJP COVID-19 Local News Relief Fund Grant Program, offering grant opportunities to help US local news organizations continue serving communities during the coronavirus outbreak.
This program will provide grants to help US local news organizations continue serving communities during the coronavirus outbreak.
Relief grants are designed to provide support for US local news organizations serving a critical role for communities impacted by COVID-19. Funding is intended to a) respond to immediate community needs and/or b) offset some revenue shortfalls to help publishers maintain long-term sustainability during this crisis.
Facebook is partnering with The Lenfest Institute for Journalism and the Local Media Association, which will provide grant review and grant-making support.
Facebook is grateful to all journalists and newsrooms working under unprecedented conditions to cover the coronavirus health crisis and keep the world informed.
Applicants may request grant amounts ranging from $25,000-$100,000. Only one grant will be made available per organization (an organization that owns several news outlets is eligible to apply for one grant across their company).
Note: Publishers who received funds from the $2 million COVID-19 Community Network grant program are still eligible to apply; organizations that haven’t yet received funding will be prioritized.
Organizations that meet the following requirements (collectively, “Applicants”) may apply to the Grant Program:
- A non-profit or for-profit local news organizations with their principal place of business located in the United States;
- Actively covering COVID-19; and
- Serving a defined geographic area.
Preference will be given to publishers who:
- Serve immigrant, rural, underserved and economically disadvantaged communities
- Represent areas where COVID-19 impact is particularly acute
- Clearly and candidly explain the grant’s contribution to their organization’s long-term viability
- Are family- or community-owned or independent
- Have an established digital reader, digital listener or digital video consumer supported business model
- Have not yet received grant support from the Facebook Journalism Project in 2020
Eligibility is irrespective of the use of Facebook tools or services.
Applicants must NOT:
- Discriminate based on race, gender, faith, national origin, sexual orientation or disability;
- Carry on propaganda or otherwise attempt to influence specific legislation;
- Influence the outcome of any specific public election or to carry on, directly or indirectly, any voter registration drive;
- Be on a government web-based watch list of banned entities or employ, deal with, or otherwise be associated with any individuals on such lists, or aid or support any entities or whom it knows or believes to support terrorism.
Applicant Content must meet the following requirements, as determined by Program Entities in their sole discretion:
- Be written entirely in the English language;
- Not infringe, misappropriate, or violate any rights of any third party including, without limitation, rights of privacy or publicity;
- Only include content about persons or entities from whom the Applicant has all necessary permissions and rights, including, if applicable, a minor’s parent or legal guardian (Applicant agrees to provide Program Entities with written confirmation of those permissions and rights upon request).
You are solely responsible for complying with all applicable federal, state, provincial and local laws, rules, or regulations in connection with participating in the Grant Program. Proof of application (such as, without limitation, a screen shot of your application) does not constitute proof of actual receipt of a submission for purposes of this Grant Program. Applications will not be returned and, in fact, may be destroyed after the Grant Program is over. Keep a copy of each element of your application. Applications that are incomplete, illegible, corrupted, damaged, destroyed, altered, false, lost, late, misdirected, garbled or otherwise not in compliance with these Terms will not be accepted and will be void.
For more information, visit https://www.facebook.com/journalismproject/programs/grants/coronavirus-local-news-relief-fund?content_id=BNeTSDeXPT71427