How can we create a digital world in which all people of any race, class, gender, sexual orientation, ability, or ethnicity feel welcome, respected, represented, and safe? If you want to know the answer then register for 2022 Startup Innovation Challenge under the theme “Inclusion and Belonging”.
The digital revolution has fundamentally changed people’s lives and social fabric creating many opportunities, yet its unintended consequences on the mental health of disadvantaged and vulnerable youth can no longer be ignored. While the debate over technology’s role in this crisis continues, unhealthy social norms and digital triggers, including online hate, cyberbullying, unrealistic beauty standards, and quantified popularity are undeniably fueling alarming rates of anxiety, depression and stress. In addition, research proves that social media can be beneficial but more harmful to students with disabilities, as they can be more likely to be cyberbullying victims, perpetrators, or even both, as compared to students without disabilities.
LookUp is a “by youth for youth” 501(c)(3) social venture dedicated to helping young people thrive in the digital world.
LookUp seeks solutions that:
- increase awareness of the online harms of disinformation, discrimination, and hate on young people of color, LGBTQ, people with disablities and other disadvantaged communities.
- engage communities in changing the online narrative to create a more tolerant, open minded, and welcoming digital world.
- actively minimize the algorithmic and AI biases toward young people of color, the LGBTQ, and other marginalized communities.
- increases the representation of disadvantaged and vulnerable populations in digital technologies, e.g. gaming, ed tech, social media.
Grant values will be awarded up to $2,500.
- Individuals or teams between the age of 18-25 may apply.
- LookUp is thrilled to announce that the Innovation Challenge is open to individuals and teams from any country. The majority of Leadership Lab programming will be conducted live, therefore, it is strongly recommended that most team members are based within a reasonable distance of the New York time zone.
- All applicants must outline their estimated project budget and indicate how this grant will be applied to their budget in its first year.
For more information, visit https://lookup.live/startup/global/challenges/2