The U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor (DRL) has announced an open competition for organizations interested in submitting applications to develop and lead the Global LGBTQI+ Inclusive Democracy and Empowerment (GLIDE) Fund, a global mechanism to increase access to and participation and leadership in democracy for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and intersex (LGBTQI+) communities.
They intend for the GLIDE Fund to be led by or have strong support from and participation by LGBTQI+ organizations and communities.
DRL seeks proposals to develop and lead the Global LGBTQI+ Inclusive Democracy and Empowerment (GLIDE) Fund, a global mechanism to increase access to and participation and leadership in democracy for diverse lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and intersex (LGBTQI+) communities. The GLIDE Fund is intended to create and strengthen demand signals for LGBTQI+ community members to engage and participate in democratic institutions that directly impact the lived realities of LGBTQI+ people in their communities and around the globe. The engagement, influence, and representation of LGBTQI+ people in political processes and governance structures is intended to empower connected, skilled, and sustainable LGBTQI+ movements for democracy and human rights.
Proposals for the GLIDE Fund should address three principal objectives, including:
- Generate interest in and build skills and capacity for LGBTQI+ communities to strengthen leadership, engagement, and participation in political and public life
- Develop and coordinate communication and advocacy strategies that encourage LGBTQI+ individuals to use democratic mechanisms to mitigate intolerance, violence and discrimination
- Engage supportive political, government, community, and/or religious leaders to promote political engagement and reduce intolerance and human rights abuse against LGBTQI+ communities
- Total Funding Floor: $2,500,000
- Funding Type I (Human Rights Democracy Fund) Floor: $1,500,000
- Funding Type II (Gift Funds) Floor: $1,000,000
- Total Funding Ceiling: $2,500,000
- Funding Type I (Human Rights Democracy Fund) Ceiling: $1,500,000
- Funding Type II (Gift Funds) Ceiling: $1,000,000
- Period of Performance:24-36 months
- Anticipated Time to Award, Pending Availability of Funds:2-8 months
- DRL welcomes applications from U.S.-based and foreign-based non-profit organizations/nongovernment organizations (NGO) and public international organizations; private, public, or state institutions of higher education; and for-profit organizations or businesses.
- DRL’s preference is to work with non-profit entities; however, there may be some occasions when a for-profit entity is best suited.
- Applications submitted by for-profit entities may be subject to additional review following the panel selection process.
- Additionally, the Department of State prohibits profit to for-profit or commercial organizations under its assistance awards.
- Profit is defined as any amount in excess of allowable direct and indirect costs.
For more information, visit https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=336830