Applications are now open for the Maine Charity Foundation Fund 2020. For the 2020 grant cycle and in light of COVID-19, the Program will support community-based transportation programs, including changes in response to the pandemic, and efforts to keep older 60+ community members socially connected during a time of physical distancing.
- The Maine Charity Foundation Fund has a broadly defined goal of supporting “charitable and educational purposes within the State of Maine.”
- Nearly a third of older people in Maine live in communities without access to public transportation. This can present many challenges as we outlive our ability to drive. For older people, especially those living in rural areas, this lack of transportation can result in missed medical appointments, malnutrition, and social isolation—all significant threats to good health and quality of life.
- This program will award grants up to $10,000.
Types of Support
Maine Charity will offer the following types of support to organizations and/or projects aligned with the current focus:
- General support grants for ongoing staff and operational needs
- Project grants for new or expanding projects or programs.
This program will place a priority on proposals that:
- Address inequities and engage a diverse range of older residents, including those with low incomes, disabilities, mental health conditions, limited English proficiency; people of color or racial minority groups; immigrants and/or refugees; and those who identify as LGBTQ;
- Meet gaps in services/programs or provide service/programming where there is none currently
- Creatively use existing resources
- Are clearly laid out and ready to implement.
Please note: Fund priorities and guidelines are reviewed and subject to change annually.
- Nonprofit, charitable organizations tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and also classified as an organization described in sections 509(a)(1) or 509(a)(2)
- Public schools
- Public agencies working for the State of Maine
- Indian tribal governments (or political subdivisions) recognized by the Department of the Interior
- Groups without any tax status may apply with a fiscal sponsor that is an eligible organization.
For more information, visit https://bit.ly/3goWmf8