Deadline: 15 March 2017
The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is seeking proposals for its Intersex Human Rights Fund to honor the resilience, creativity and growth of intersex activism and to ensure the human rights of intersex people.
The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice works for social, racial and economic justice in the U.S. and internationally. The foundation’s grantmaking, capacity building & leadership development, media and communications, and philanthropic advocacy programs support the work of lesbian, trans, intersex and LGBTQI organizations to challenge oppression and claim rights. The foundation believes that:
- Social change results from the powerful collective action of groups of people working together.
- Organizations that are committed to addressing the intersections of various oppressions, and demonstrate commitment to social, racial, economic and gender justice, are most likely to build transformative and liberationist movements for change.
- Art and cultural work are powerful mediums for resistance, cultural change and inspiration – all critical components of lasting justice movements.
- Communities that are most affected by various issues are best positioned to identify effective priorities and strategies for social change in their communities.
- Social justice funding institutions – like Astraea – seek to help redistribute wealth and power in society in order to help finance the sectors of our movements that have the least access to mainstream funding resources.
- Grants will range from $2,500 – $10,000.
- Organizations can apply for general support or project support:
- Have active participation and leadership from the communities most affected by issues that the group works on
- Are inclusive and reflect the diversity of the geographic region in which they do their work
- Show an understanding of the connections among different oppressions facing intersex people, and have a commitment to address other forms of oppression based on class, race, ethnicity, age, physical and mental ability, gender, sexuality, national identity, and religious affiliation
- Develop leadership and build communities’ capacity to achieve social change, particularly through proposals that strengthen an organization’s ability to organize
- Work in alliance and/or builds coalition with other social justice organizations (e.g. sex worker rights, LGBTQ rights, disability rights, children’s rights, etc.)
- Have organizational structures and practices in place that reflect social justice principles
- Have limited access to traditional sources of funding
- The Intersex Human Rights Fund supports organizations, projects and timely campaigns led by intersex activists working to ensure the human rights, bodily autonomy, physical integrity and self-determination of intersex people. Given the dearth of funding to intersex issues globally, intersex groups/projects based anywhere in the world are eligible to apply.
- Astraea particularly seeks proposals from intersex activists who have never applied for a grant or received foundation funding.
- Groups with small or no budgets, staff or structures are eligible and encouraged to apply.
- Consideration for funding will be limited to groups that:
- Are led by and for intersex people. While groups led by intersex people will be prioritized, intersex projects of broader organizations (eg. T/I, LGBTI, human rights, women’s rights, health rights, disability rights) are eligible if the project is led by intersex people.
- Utilize social, cultural, artistic, political, legal and/or institutional change strategies to advance the rights of people with intersex variations, including the following aims:
- Ensure bodily integrity, physical autonomy and self-determination
- Ensure access to information, counseling and support
- End invisibility and break isolation
- End stigma and discrimination
- End medical and other forms of institutional violence against intersex people, at all stages of life
- Build legal frameworks to ensure protection of human rights and reparative justice
- Strengthen human rights approaches, including use of international and regional mechanisms
- Produce critical knowledge on intersex issues
- Create celebratory approaches to intersex issues
- Strengthen the intersex human rights movement
How to Apply
Interested applicants can download the application forms via given website.
For more information, please visit Astraea Intersex Human Rights Fund.