The BC Rehab Foundation is seeking applications for the Individual Grant Program.
- As a way of fulfilling as many requests as possible, their organization imposes maximum amounts on certain types of equipment. All equipment and corresponding funding limits are listed.
- Back-up wheelchair – $2500
- Scooters – $1000
- Lift chairs – $1000.
What do they fund?
- Their organization funds a range of new and used equipment and will consider even the most obscure devices if they will assist an individual in their quality of life and personal mobility. Examples of the most frequently funded equipment include:
- Power wheelchairs
- Manual Wheelchairs
- Driver’s rehab lessons
- Custom orthotics
- Specialized wheelchair seating systems
- Portable lift system
- Recreation therapy opportunities
- Assistive technology devices (e.g. Dragon speaking software).
- Awards are considered by a combination of factors. Approved applications typically demonstrate a severe need, an inability to acquire the needed equipment through other means and applications address each of the following areas:
- financial need of the applicant
- type of disability
- how the equipment request will improve the applicants quality of life and increase personal independence
- if the applicant has explored other avenues of funding
- two or more quotes (from different vendors) for the equipment being applied for
- how long the equipment will meet the client’s need
- They do not fund additional equipment you already have acquired, unless it’s a back-up wheelchair
- letter of support and/or assessment from a health care practitioner such as a medical doctor, occupational therapist or physiotherapist
- Their mandate is inclusive to these physical disabilities:
- Spinal cord injury
- Acquired brain injury
- Cerebral Palsy
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Spina Bifida
- Multiple Sclerosis
- ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis
For more information, visit Individual Grant.