Deadline: 15 January 2017
Terra Foundation invites applications for the Research Travel Grants, providing support for research on topics concerning American art and visual culture prior to 1980. These grants enable scholars outside the United States to consult resources that are only available within the United States.
Grant funding is available for short-term travel that gives scholars:
- An opportunity to discover new source material;
- Experience works of art first-hand in museums and private collections;
- Make contact with artists, art dealers, archivists, curators, university scholars, etc.;
- Consult local archives and library collections;
- Establish professional networks for future research.
Nine to thirteen grants are awarded annually (up to 5 of them are specifically dedicated to scholars from Asia, Africa, and Latin America) as follows:
- Up to $6,000 per grant for doctoral students from Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand;
- Up to $7,000 per grant for doctoral students from Asia, Africa, and Latin America;
- Up to $9,000 per grant for all postdoctoral and senior scholars.
- The foundation only accepts proposals from doctoral students and postdoctoral and senior scholars outside the United States.
- Grant requirements:
- Travel should be undertaken within one calendar year after the announcement of the selection results.
- Final report must be submitted within three months of completion of travel. It should include a description of the travel undertaken as a result of the grant, an assessment of the research accomplished, and a financial report detailing grant expenditures.
- Recipients must acknowledge the support of TFAA in any publication that results from research conducted during the grant.
How to Apply
Completed application forms including the supporting documents must be submitted via email.
For more information, please visit Research Travel Grants.