Hlanganisa Institute for Development in Southern Africa (Hlanganisa) is inviting community-based organizations implementing programmes that aim to promote social justice to apply for funding and technical support through the Multi Agency Grants Initiative.
The Multi-Agency Grants Initiative (MAGI) is a collaborative donor initiative which was established in 2006 to provide funding and capacity building support to Community Based Organizations (CBOs) located in disadvantaged areas within South Africa with high levels of poverty. MAGI’s vision is of a South Africa in which CBOs are able to meet the needs of their members and contribute to building a society characterized by equality, fairness, dignity and justice, in which the state and the private sector meet their social obligations and inequality is incrementally addressed.
In this call, Hlanganisa invites applications for funding from community-based organizations and social movements that align to the following objectives:
- Contribute towards strengthening the active voice and agency of local communities, and in the process strengthen democracy;
- Contribute to social change by participating actively in local and national processes;
- Improve access to justice for marginalized groups;
- Build and strengthen social cohesion at a local level;
- Contribute to the creation of an enabling environment for local economic development to take place and improve access to services in the community;
- Conduct community level participatory research.
- Grant sizes: R50 000 – R100 000 (up to 18 months)
- Community-based organizations, social movements, community groups in the process of formalizing as a Non-Profit Organization with a functioning governance structure are all eligible to apply;
- Able to demonstrate that joint activities have taken place using a collaborative or partnership approach;
- Community support or contribution to the programme either through time, materials or financially;
- The benefit to the community must be clearly defined;
- The role that women play must be clearly shown, both in terms of how they participate in leadership and decision making and in how they benefit and are empowered;
- Organizations must be rooted in the community;
- Programmes that address inequality seek to build community cohesion will be considered for support;
- Programmes aligned to the thematic areas of the Fund viz. social cohesion, access to justice, access to services and local economic development;
- Activities must demonstrate measurable results/outcomes;
- Record keeping and financial systems in place.
For more information, visit http://www.hlanganisa.org.za/call-for-proposals-magi-2020-cfp/