The Hivos Regional Hub for Southern Africa with funding from Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) – GOV.UK through the PROTECT program is calling for proposals from interested eligible civil society organizations/Non-Governmental Organizations working in the Transparency and Accountability sector focusing on women empowerment and participation.
Hivos aims towards an open and green society, inspired by humanist values such as freedom, dignity, responsibility and curiosity. Our objective is that every person can live in freedom and dignity on a planet that is sustainable.
Protecting Rights, Openness and Transparency-Enhancing Civic Transformation (PROTECT) is a three-year programme (2020 – 2023) that seeks to foster open societies based on an expanded and protected civic space.
In Malawi, Hivos will utilize problem-driven mobilization and use of data to address inequalities in women participation (gender equality) and marginalized focusing on utilization of data and information for women empowerment, and transparency and accountability at national and one selected district. Specifically, Hivos will work towards ensuring
- that State actors are better equipped to engage with civil society actors to address local and national challenges around women participation (gender equality) and participation of marginalised groups,
- that Civil society actors, Human Rights Defenders (HRDs), infomediaries and media working with Women and Gender Equality Organizations have improved access to information, and ability to generate and use better quality data to address local and national challenges around women participation and participation of marginalized groups.
- Hivos will offer funding of around GBP 384,934 for a period of 3 years.
- In the period of November, 2020 – August, 2023, they are inviting interested targeted partner organizations to receive funding, support and training tailored to their capacities and needs to effectively implement the PROTECT program. They aim to support partner organizations to adapt new capacities that will enable them to not only achieve PROTECT outcomes but also contribute to PROTECT goal. The non-funded support includes mentoring, trainings, expert advice and support on open data management for women empowerment and participation.
What are they looking for?
To qualify for this targeted invitation, you should be a noteworthy non-profit organization that demonstrates:
- A clear, long-term vision and action plan to solve a specific problem related to transparency and accountability
- A track record in influencing policy around good governance specifically in transparency and accountability in public service delivery at the national and/or district levels.
- An ability to tackle a specific problem in a chosen sectoral focus area
- A clear working record on advocacy, citizen engagement, research and capacity building for public participation, transparency and accountability.
- Engagement record with both state and non-state actors at national and/or district levels.
For more information, visit https://southern-africa.hivos.org/vacancy/open-call-for-proposals-protecting-rights-openness-and-transparency-enhancing-civic-transformation-protect-in-malawi/