The Community Foundation for Kingston & Area is seeking applications for the 2020 Community Grants Program.
Fields of Interest
- The Community Grants program provides grants in all the Foundation’s fields of interest: Arts and Culture, Community Development, Education and Literacy, Environment, Health and Social Services, Heritage Preservation, Recreation, Youth and Children’s Mental Health.
- Preference is given to projects that align with Smart & Caring Community priority areas: Getting Started, Food Security, and Community Engagement.
- The grants are limited to a maximum of 20% of the annual program cost up to a maximum of $15,000 per organization.
All budget items must be project or mission-related and be incurred between November 1, 2020, and October 31, 2021. Eligible expenditures will vary depending on the project. The lists below are examples of possible expenditures:
- Wages and employment-related costs for staff;
- Fees for professional service;
- Materials and supplies;
- Printing and communication;
- Transportation costs;
- A pro-rated portion of utilities, insurance etc.;
- Rental of premises;
- Lease, purchase, and maintenance of equipment;
- Professional development for staff and/or board.
- Applications must meet the general eligibility criteria that apply to all granting programs.
- Projects that align with fall 2020 priorities will be given special consideration when CFKA allocates funds.
- Charities must clearly explain and demonstrate financial need.
- For fall 2020, Community Grants round only, charitable organizations may apply for one-time Emergency Operational Support grant to help support one existing project, program, or initiative (up to 20% of the annual cost up to a maximum of $15,000).
- City of Kingston, Loyalist Township, Township of Central Frontenac, Township of Frontenac Islands, Township of North Frontenac, Township of South Frontenac.
- Environmental projects must lie within this area and/or in the Cataraqui Watershed.
- Children’s Mental Health projects may be in the above or in Lennox & Addington County.
- Projects must meet the general eligibility criteria that apply to all granting programs.
- Projects must have a well-defined and innovative purpose and take place within one year of receiving the grant. This granting program is intended for projects, not ongoing operations or programs.
- Any final reports due for previous completed projects funded by the Foundation must have been received and approved.
Grants for the following will not be considered:
- To cover deficits or retire debts;
- To provide endowment funds;
- For sectarian, religious, or political purposes;
- To respond to annual fund drives for sustaining support.
Grants will not normally be given:
- To contribute to major renovation or capital construction costs;
- To individuals;
- To provide money for fundraising activities;
- To support the operating expenses of established organizations or programs (including predictable replacement of office equipment).
Preference is given to new initiatives, but a promising program may receive more than one grant provided there is evidence that the program is developing successfully. An established program may receive a grant when it faces a new opportunity or an unexpected problem.
- Their Community Grants application process is now one stage only. The application deadline is now the 15th of February and September.
- They hold a Community Grants information session for applicants in advance of each round. Please ensure you are on their mailing list if you would like to receive notification of this event and/or other updates on the Community Grants program.
- Once you submit your application it is reviewed for completeness and eligibility by their Grants Coordinator. If all is in order, the application is reviewed by their experienced and knowledgeable grants committee who make a recommendation to the Community Foundation board of directors. The board will then make the final approval.
- Applicants are notified either way of the success of their application. Grantees are invited to a grants celebration to receive their cheque in May or December. The entire process, from deadline to cheque in hand, takes about 3 months.
- They strongly encourage you to read and follow the guidelines in order to ensure that your application has every chance of success.
For more information, visit https://cfka.org/community-grants-program/