Deadline: 20 November 2019
In this first Call for Concept Notes, the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID) IMPACT Programme is currently inviting innovative ideas for specific impact investing products, tools and services that address system level market barriers and that aim to increase the flow and distribution of capital aligned to the Global Goals to Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia.
The IMPACT Programme (“the Programme”) is a 4-year programme funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID) managed by Palladium in partnership with Enclude Capital Advisory and The Good Economy.
The Programme’s overall goal is to unblock constraints preventing Impact Investing from scaling in SubSaharan Africa and South Asia. It seeks to support the flow of investment capital from Impact Investors into businesses reaching the underserved as consumers, suppliers, distributors or employees, in hard to reach/difficult geographies, and/or through innovative business models.
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
The IMPACT Programme funds a range of non-state actors, including but not limited to, private sector companies; civil society organisations (CSOs), nongovernmental organisations (NGOs), international nongovernmental organisations (INGOs) research organisations, policy institutes/think tanks; and trade and industry associations.
The Programme will not be investing in individual businesses or impact investing funds but will be focused on reducing market-level barriers in the impact investing ecosystem. Applicants who demonstrate their commitment to sustainability and wider ecosystem engagement with counterpart or match funding will be considered particularly favourably.
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
The Programme’s principal focus will be:
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
- Development of a range of Products, Tools and Services, which help to increase the flow and distribution of investment to impactful enterprises;
- Development of generally accepted principles and methodologies for managing and measuring Impact Investing performance, with a focus on impact (as opposed to financial) outcomes and outputs;
- Deepening awareness, identity and practice of Impact Investing in Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia in order to encourage more impact investing activity;
The Programme is now accepting funding applications for projects between £250,000 and £1,000,000. Exceptions can be made for compelling applications for grant amounts which fall outside of this range.
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.
- Any organisations with a valid legal registration, and therefore a mandate to operate, may apply for funding under the IMPACT Activity Fund. This includes, but is not limited to, private sector organisations, civil society and not-for-profit organisations and entities.
- To be eligible to receive funding, interventions should:
- Meet minimum eligibility criteria
- Do no harm;
- Contribute to delivering systemic changes to the impact investing ecosystem particularly in SubSaharan Africa and South Asia;
- Have the potential of being adopted / replicated by the wider ecosystem;
- Include proactive and inclusive measures for knowledge sharing with stakeholders in the impact investing ecosystem; and
- Avoid excessive reputational risk to DFID, the IMPACT Programme, Palladium, and The Good Economy.
(Ad) How to raise funds? Where can I find a list of donors for my area of work? How to write proposals? How can I submit a grant request to USAID, the European Commission or the Gates Foundation? How can I use Social Media to promote my work? We have developed powerful resources in the form of Ebook and Articles covering all this information and more. Learn more.
Concept notes will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Alignment and System level Impact: Concept demonstrates aligned objectives with DFID Impact Programme and the focus of this Call for Concepts (products, tools and services). It should operate at sector or market level and is likely to have a systemic impact in Sub-Saharan Africa and/or South Asia.
- Sustainability (self-perpetuation): as part of the design of each investment, prospective grantees will be required to demonstrate how their initiatives will become independent of the Programme as part of their business cases and proposals, outlining how the initiative will become embedded in the impact investing ecosystem.
- Inclusiveness: applications are expected to outline how stakeholders (local, regional) in SubSaharan Africa and/or South Asia will be included in the design, implementation and adoption of the proposed intervention;
- Additionality: The Programme operates according to a principle of additionality. This means that the provision of funding under the IMPACT Activity Fund through a contract or grant agreement must not substitute or replace an organisation’s core funding, or crowd out other funding sources. Initiatives funded under the IMPACT Activity Fund will show additionality by ensuring that the outcomes would have been delayed or not achieved without support from the Programme.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications at the address given on the website.
For more information, please visit http://www.theimpactprogramme.org.uk/funding-opportunities/