The Doug Pensinger Photography Fund (DPPF) is seeking applications to support emerging and early-career sports photographers.
- 7 photographers will receive
- A $5,000 grant, to be spent on career development
- Expenses-paid trip to the next DPPF Sports Photography Gathering.Complete travel coverage for the Gathering is limited to U.S. domestic airfare
2024 DPPF Sports Photography Gathering
- Tentatively planned for September 2024, this weekend event will be led by top working professionals in the business and will include:
- Multiple individual portfolio feedback sessions
- Small group sessions on issues critical to the world of sports photojournalism
- 1-1 connections with the renowned photographers and editors on the DPPF Advisory Board
Please note: The Gathering is not a workshop. It is designed to provide career advice, access to leading professionals, and individual feedback on the attendees’ body of work. This dynamic informal gathering will give unprecedented access to high-level working professionals in the business. It will honor Doug Pensinger’s generosity of spirit, strong work ethic, sense of camaraderie, and spirited approach to life and work.
- Up to 3 of the 7 grant winners will be chosen to receive a year-long mentorship opportunity with leading industry professionals on the DPPF Advisory Board.
- Mentorships recipients will be chosen based on their current profiles and mentorship essay.
- Applying for a mentorship is not required in order to compete for a DPPF grant.
- The Doug Pensinger Photography Fund supports emerging and early-career sports photographers.
- Photographers with more than 3 years cumulative paid professional sports photography experience are considered beyond the scope of the DPPF’s programs. Previous DPPF grant recipients are not eligible to apply.
- The DPPF is committed to promoting inclusivity and diversity and to providing free merit-based access to its programs.
- The process is not limited to U.S. citizens, although international applicants should be aware that paid transportation to the Sports Photography Gathering is limited to U.S. domestic airfare and that the DPPF is not able to provide support for visa procurement.
- Quantity: 20 sports photographs (action and portrait both accepted)
- Timeframe (metadata for each image must include the date it was taken):
- 15 of the required 20 images must be taken on or after 1/1/2021..
- The remaining 5 required images must be taken on or after 1/1/2019.
- Candidates applying for an optional mentorship opportunity must respond to an essay question about how they would value a mentorship. (1,500 character maximum) Note: This essay is only required if you wish to apply for a mentorship opportunity.
- Submissions will be judged on the basis of merit and overall quality. Only complete submissions will be considered, and all decisions by the judges are binding.
For more information, visit Doug Pensinger Photography Fund.