The Government of Canada has announced the applications for the Nation Rebuilding Program to rebuild their nations in a manner that responds to their priorities and the unique needs of their communities.
- The objective of the program is to support nation rebuilding efforts that will contribute to increase capacity at the larger nation level.
- The provision of this capacity funding will promote:
- the re-establishment of Indigenous nations
- an increase in the ability of Indigenous nations to take on greater sectoral responsibilities, thereby facilitating a phased-in approach to self-determination and ultimately self-governance
- an increase in the sense of unity within Indigenous nations
- identification and agreement among member communities on priorities for action and approaches to issues
- a reduction in the duplication of the resolution of issues at the individual First Nation or Indigenous community level by working as a collective at the nation-level
The total amount of funding available for this program is $100 million over 5 years, amounting to $20 million per fiscal year to distribute across the country.
To be eligible for funding, proposals must clearly demonstrate:
- that they are including more than one Indigenous group of the same nation (cultural or language background or historical treaty lines) facilitating a phased-approach to take on greater sectoral responsibilities to self-determination and self-governance
- that the activities contribute to nation rebuilding by increasing capacity for action at the larger nation level and by fostering a greater sense of attachment identity
- Preference will be given to Indigenous nations representing multiple Indigenous communities.
- Recipients eligible to receive funding under this program are the following:
- Indigenous nations entities (as self-defined and representing nation-based collectives – could be linked by cultural or linguistic background, geographical area or historical treaty lines)
- nation member communities or member organizations on behalf of nation entities
- Section 35 rights-bearing Métis entities
- national and regional Indigenous organizations
- self-governing Indigenous governments
For more information, visit https://www.rcaanc-cirnac.gc.ca/eng/1530880050808/1530880135933#ch1