CARE International Balkans, office in Kosovo, in cooperation with CARE Austria is implementing the WEERA Project – Economic Empowerment of Women in Rural Areas of Kosovo, financed by the Austrian Development Cooperation (ADC).
The project that will be implemented by CARE will contribute to a more equal and comprehensive socio-economic development in the rural areas of Kosovo and will increase the economic and social inclusion of women from the rural areas of Kosovo by improving the competitiveness of their businesses and their capacity for civic participation.
For Women from Rural Areas in Agriculture to support the agro-rural sector, increase production and productivity, improve food security, use modern technology, diversify activities on farms and rural businesses, protect the environment and natural resources and create jobs.
The project is expected to contribute to the following results:
- Rural businesses led by women are ready to introduce sustainable financial and environmental solutions as well as improve their position in the market, through a competitive financing scheme and technical assistance.
- Women from rural areas are aware of their economic and social rights, with increased capacities and opportunities for active participation in local decision-making processes.
- Broad recognition of the role of women in rural areas of Kosovo through the promotion of project best practices and success stories.
Analysis of the Situation
- Based on the assessment carried out by CARE, the following agricultural sub-sectors have been identified as having sufficient potential for economic, ecological and gender mainstreaming growth:
- Processing of fruits and vegetables
- Milk production including collection points
- Small trees (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, etc.)
- Medicinal and aromatic plants (BMA) and non-wood forest products (NWFP)
- Project budget: Applicants can apply a minimum of 5,000 EUR and a maximum of 10,000 EUR.
- Project duration: September 2022-August 2024.
- The project will be implemented in the rural areas of the region of Peja and Gjakova.
- The duration of the proposed project activities may be between 15.09.2023 – 15.10.2024.
- Increasing the number of women who have registered their businesses or cooperatives.
- Women farmers are provided with financially sustainable solutions.
- Increasing the agricultural capacities of women farmers.
- Improving the production and processing capacities of women farmers.
- Businesses led by women have expanded their market share and increased revenue generation.
- Increasing women’s awareness of the use of their economic and property rights.
- Applicants must be women farmers, start-ups or women-owned cooperatives.
- Applicants must be residents of one of the target municipalities of the project and investments must be made in the region of Peja and Gjakova.
- Applicants must be directly responsible for the preparation and management of the project.
- Applicants must have an idea of how they will develop the business in the next two years.
- Applications with unrealistic market prices will be rejected.
- Applications must be submitted in Albanian or Serbian.
- Handwritten application form will not be accepted.
For more information, visit CARE International.