The Herb Block Foundation is accepting applications for Defending Basic Freedoms.
This program helps safeguard the basic freedoms guaranteed in their Bill of Rights, to help eliminate all forms of prejudice and discrimination, and to assist government agencies to be more accountable to the public.
The Herb Block Foundation will also consider contemporary societal issues that may arise.Grants are available nationwide.
- Grants in the range of $5,000 to $25,000 will be considered. Grants will be considered for one year’s funding.
Types of Programs
- Defending Basic Freedoms
- Pathways Out of Poverty
- Applicants must be nonprofit organizations classified as 501(c)(3) organizations by the Internal Revenue Service.
- Applicants for the Defending Basic Freedoms and Encouraging Citizen Involvement Program areas may be national. Applicants for the Pathways Out of Poverty Program must be located in /and or provide services in the greater Washington, DC region which they define as the District of Columbia, the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, and the city of Alexandria in Virginia and Montgomery, and Prince George’s counties in Maryland.
- Grants will not be made for capital or endowment programs, nor for sectarian religious purposes.
- No more than 10% of a grant may go to indirect costs (outside of those for general operating support).
- Grants cannot be used for lobbying or other partisan purposes.
For more information, visit https://www.herbblockfoundation.org/grant-programs/defending-basic-freedoms