Deadline: 1 May 2017
The International Union for Conservation of Nature Netherlands (IUCN NL) is currently accepting applications for its Small Grants for the Purchase of Nature (SPN) with an aim to enable strong local conservation NGOs to secure, connect and efficiently protect habitat of Red List species.
The maximum financial assistance provided by SPN is Euro 85,000.
Priority Project Areas
- Land acquisition (through purchase or lease) to secure areas hosting species
- NGOs working on the securing, restoring and connecting habitat of primates
- Acquisition of areas with a high biodiversity value, like AZE sites or IBAs.
- Land acquisition (through purchase or lease of areas that are important for securing the connectivity in a landscape (corridors).
- Project in which the acquisition of land is part of a broader approach to secure and restore connectivity in a fragmented landscape and/ or to secure ecosystem services.
- Land acquisition (through purchase or lease) involving ecosystems underrepresented in the public protected areas system.
- Only projects located in Africa, Asia, Latin America, The Pacific are eligible for this programme.
- Proposals can be submitted by local NGOs with:
- A proven capacity to implement land acquisition projects
- Experience and capacity concerning the effective management of a conservation area
- Experience and capacity in the field of project management, financial management and control
- The project should seek to harmonize with the needs, views, expertise and experience of local stakeholders.
- The project should take into account local participation in conservation and management of the area to be acquired.
How to Apply
Interested NGOs must submit a pre-proposal electronically at the address given on the website.
Africa: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cabo Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Cote d’Ivorie, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Asia: Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Cyprus, Georgia, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar (Burma), Nepal, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen.
For more information about these grants, visit: https://www.iucn.nl/en/solutions/land-acquisition