ICMPD is calling for proposals for Local Governance of Migration: Towards Migrants Sensitive Urban Recovery Responses.
Migration affects people’slives at all stages and in all contexts. While migrants are subject to constraints and vulnerabilities linked to their journey and conditions, their departure, arrival or transit influence the concerned territories or urban areas and their inhabitants.
In this context, the Mediterranean City-to-City Migration project (MC2CM) contributes to improved rights-based migration governance in cities.
Through its three components: Dialogue, Knowledge and Action, MC2CM anchors migration governance to a process of urban planning addressing the objectives as set out in the MC2CM policy recommendations: Urban Challenges and Opportunities for the Mediterranean Region.
- The objective of the call is to award Actions that contribute to foster rights-based urban migration governance in the Euro-Mediterranean region and enhance the inclusion of migrants and refugees in cities response and recovery plans to the pandemic.
- Actions are encouraged to include activities that sustain a realistic and fair narrative on migration, promote migrants’ access to emergency response, and enhance their contribution to the sustainable recovery plans. Further, actions promoting digital transformation and contributing to the green deal will be highly valued.
- Actions must align to at least one of the specific objectives of the MC2CM project:
- Promoting a realistic and fair narrative on migration and fostering intercultural dialogue and mutual understanding;
- Improving cooperation between relevant stakeholders in the field of migration at local, national, regional and international levels;
- Improving migration-related knowledge and data management in the field of migration governance;
- Establishing policy, legislative, institutional and regulatory frameworks in the field of migration governance.
In line with the MC2CM Policy recommendations, actions can address the following priority areas:
- provision of welcome instruments;
- access to education;
- access to health;
- urban management and access to transition shelter and adequate housing;
- access to labour market, entrepreneurship and vocational training;
- access to social and political participation;
- protection against discrimination, forced evictions, and prevention of homelessness;
- promotion of culture, cultural diversity and intercultural communication to foster social
- inclusion among migrants and host communities;
- adoption of multi-level and multi-stakeholder initiatives to ensure inclusive crisis and recovery response:
- building on the knowledge and connection of migrants and refugees,
- leveraging contributions of migrants and refugees in whole-of-society approaches,
- enhancing local leadership participation in multilateral governance systems.
- A total budget of EUR 400 000 has been earmarked for this call for proposals for Targeted City Actions. The maximum amount of funding available per Action is EUR 50 000.
- MC2CM may finance up to 100% of the total eligible cost of action; however, co-financing of the action is ordinarily expected and will be considered as an evaluation criteria. In case no co-financing is foreseen, it should be duly justified by the applicant.
MC2CM is implemented by ICMPD, UCLG and UN-Habitat, funded by the European Commission, through the Directorate General for Neighbourhood and Enlargement Negotiations (DG NEAR), in the framework of the EU Emergency Trust Fund – North of Africa Window.
It is co-funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC). MC2CM activities are divided into three main components:
- The Dialogue component promotes cooperation and cross-fertilisation of practices between relevant stakeholders through dedicated learning programmes and exchanges.
- The Knowledge component delivers research to shed light on relevant data and information about the local dimension of migration and its priorities.
- The Action component, in which this call for proposalsis framed, sets out to provide sustainable solutions and testing tools to address migration-related challenges and opportunities.
- The following entities are eligible to apply for this call for proposals:
- Local or Regional Governments;
- Local or Regional Government associations or networks, national and international Nongovernmental Organizations, and other private law bodies, established in the EU or target countries, working on a non-profit basis.
- NB: If the applicant is not a local or regional government, a letter of support from public body (local or regional) where proposed action is based must be provided in the application;
- In addition, to be eligible:
- applicants shall have financial and operational capacity to complete the proposed Action;
- applicants and affiliated entities shall demonstrate the necessary professional competences and qualifications to complete proposed Action
- To be eligible for this call for proposals, Applications shall:
- Be submitted by 1 lead applicant and maximum 3 co-applicants;
- Demonstrate specific, clear and achievable objectives, a realistic workplan and achievable timeline and measurable outcomes;
- Provide elements of continuation of the project beyond the financial support allocated by MC2CM;
- Be submitted using the Application Form and Budget in English or French and with the following supporting documents attached:
- feasibility study on which Action is based;
- Letter of support from local or regional authority(ies) where applicable;
- last annual financial (audited) report of the organisation, where applicable;
- list of initiatives involving external funding in the past 5 years, where applicable.
- To be eligible for this call for proposals, Actions shall:
For more information, visit https://www.icmpd.org/work-with-us/grants/open-calls-for-proposals