The U.S. Embassy in Sofia of the U.S. Department of State announces an open competition for organizations to submit applications to carry out a program to foster the development of independent media in Bulgaria through training for journalists and journalism students.
- The program will strengthen journalistic resilience to Russian disinformation and manipulation in Bulgaria.
- The grantee would conduct training and seminars for journalists and journalism students from around Bulgaria (with a special focus on those who are generally underserved by such programs, but also including influential regional journalists from outside the capital) on detection of and protection against Russian disinformation in the spheres of traditional and online media.
- The objective of these trainings is to help journalists identify and fact-check the flood of disinformation coming from Russian sources.
- Proposals must identify the project’s target audience; concrete and achievable goals and plans to measure progress against these goals; a realistic action plan; and a reasonable cost estimate.
- Length of performance period: approximately 6 to 12 months
- Number of awards anticipated: 1 award
- Total available funding: $150,000
- Type of Funding: FY21 AEECA – CRIF
- Anticipated program start date: October 1, 2022
- Program Performance Period: Proposed programs should be completed in 12 months or less.
Participants and Audiences: Journalists and journalism students from around Bulgaria (with a special focus on those who are generally underserved by such programs, but also including influential regional journalists from outside the capital).
Priority Region: Bulgaria
- The following organizations are eligible to apply:
For more information, visit https://bg.usembassy.gov/education-culture/grant-opportunities/