The Gallery is inviting artists aged 18 and over to apply to present a high-impact artwork as part of Artichoke’s ambitious public art initiative.
The Gallery is a new kind of cultural institution without walls that challenges traditional models of viewing art. Each season they invite artists to respond to critical and urgent questions of their time. The aim of the project is to generate meaningful debate and start a national conversation through art.
- The theme for The Gallery Season 2 exhibition is The State We’re In.
- Flood, fire and famine, national identity, reproductive rights, gender politics, inflation, spiralling energy costs and war are just some of the issues they face today. The Gallery invites 10 artists from around the world to make art about The State We’re In.
- In its second season, The Gallery continues with its mission to show contemporary art that addresses critical issues of their time, provoking meaningful debate and public discourse.
- Shown on billboards and digital screens across England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, artworks will be selected for their divergent views and their ability to spark a national conversation from the public and in the media. The nature of the debate will be, as always, unpredictable.
What you get?
- Artists will be supported to develop and adapt their work for outdoor presentation. They will also receive ongoing mentoring and advice during the process.
- All artists receive:
- A fee of £2,000
- Support from Creative Director Martin Firrell
- Support from their exhibition Curator Bren O’Callaghan
- An international platform to exhibit their work including through the dedicated website
- The services of a designer to format the artwork for digital and print if required
- Costs of production, mounting and leasing of the advertising spaces
- Selected photographic documentation of the artwork displayed outdoors
- Scheduled online meet-ups with fellow contributing artists and team
- Participation in online discussion regarding making art for the public realm
- Invitation to exhibition launch in January 2023. If based in the UK, standard travel and one night’s accommodation will be included. For artists based outside the UK, a travel stipend of £200 towards any/all travel expenses, including visa fees and one night’s accommodation is included.
- For those based outside of the UK, Artichoke will investigate additional means of support towards travel costs where possible (e.g., from Embassies, Trusts and Foundations).
- The call is open to all practitioners aged 18+, working at any level, including students. Artists can be based anywhere in the world. This initiative exists to champion ground-breaking artworks by artists at any stage of their practice.
- Collaborative applications as a group or collective are eligible (fee remains at £2,000).
For more information, visit https://thegallery.org.uk/open-call-for-artists/