The Saari Residence is pleased to announce an Open Call for the 2024 Residency Program.
The Saari Residence welcome applications from professional artists for the international Saari Residence in 2024.
The residency periods are two months long, and the residency includes a work grant in addition to accommodation. Applications for group residencies for artistic groups in the summer of 2024 are also welcome.
- An individual residency spanning two months includes accommodation, a workroom and a monthly grant, the sum of which is determined by the applicant’s experience (€2,500 / €3,0 00 / €3,600 per month). The purpose of the grant is to cover the cost of living, travel costs and other expenses. Groups can apply for grant for a work period of two to four weeks.
What they Offer?
- An individual residency spanning two months includes accommodation, a workroom and a monthly grant, the sum of which is determined by the applicant’s experience. The purpose of the grant is to cover the cost of living, travel and other expenses.
- Workgroups can apply for a grant for a work period of two to four weeks.
- As part of the Saari Residence’s social sustainability, accessibility and diversity, artists arriving from Global South can apply for support for the flights and the fees for a visa.
- They encourage applicants to apply for support for ecological travel. You can apply for the support if you are coming to the Saari Residence from outside of Finland and travelling out of Finland when leaving. If the journey takes more than a week in total, it is possible to apply for a work grant for the journey. Ecological travel refers to ecologically sustainable means of transport and avoidance of air travel. For more info, please read Support for Ecological Travel.
- In addition to the grant, the Saari Residence provides three studios, a dance studio and workspaces for writers. Each individual residency guest has their own apartment with basic amenities and their private workspace that they do not have to share. During summer group residencies, groups stay in more shared accommodations, but each is provided with a private workspace.
- The residency positions are intended for individual professional artists, fiction writers, poets, novelists, translators, curators and critics, and artistic collectives (workgroups or established organizations with a business ID, the minimum group size is 3 people) of all disciplines and all nationalities for the purpose of carrying out a project proposal presented in advance. Work partners can apply for individual residency in a joint application.
- They welcome artists at all stages of their professional life from emerging to well-established.
- The Saari Residence takes into account the perspectives of diversity, inclusion and equality. Artists with families are also welcome at the residence.
- The selections for Saari residents emphasise artists whose work is rejuvenating and topical, as well as new forms of art. For each residency period, their aim is to select both Finnish and international artists, with representation from several different disciplines of art and stages of career.
- Researchers or non-fiction writers cannot apply for residency through the open call.
- The language used in the international artist in residence is English.
- As part of the Saari Residence’s social sustainability, accessibility and diversity, artists arriving from Global South can apply for support for the flights and the fees for visas (processing and possible travel).
For more information, visit Saari Residence.