The United States Department of Agriculture has announced the applications for its Poultry Value Chain Assessment in Tanzania to support applied research to better understand the supply chain and market system for poultry and eggs in Tanzania.
Using quantitative, qualitative, and mixed methods approaches, such research would identify existing barriers to trade, gaps in technical assistance, and capacity building opportunities to increase the availability of poultry products to Tanzanian consumers, through increased local production and imports.
It is anticipated that this research program will cover:
- Supply chain segments of poultry meat and eggs in Tanzania, including domestic suppliers and importers, and transshipment to and from neighboring countries
- The current market for U.S. agricultural exports of poultry products (meat and eggs) and inputs (e.g. feed grains) to Tanzania and how that market can expand overtime.
- Tanzania’s agricultural trade policies on poultry meat, eggs, and feed, and how those policies may be affected by the recent change in the government
- A gap analysis of capacity building and technical assistance for the poultry and egg industry, e.g. Cold chain, grades and standards system, agricultural extension, feed sector, etc.
- Recommendations on improving methods, processes and tools used by the Tanzanian Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries Development to identify national, international, and intraregional trade opportunities and market trends that may better enable improved two-way trade with the United States. These recommendations would be also used to inform FAS and U.S. poultry meat and feed industries
- Up to $180,000 total
- The initial award is anticipated to be approximately $80,000; an additional $100,000, up to a total of approximately $180,000 may be available over the lifetime of the award, including extensions, if authorized, subject to availability of funds.
- Projected Number of Awards: 1
- Period of Performance: 25 months
- Nonprofits with 501(c)(3) IRS status, other than institution of higher education
- Nonprofits without 501(c)(3) IRS status, other than institution of higher education
- Private institutions of higher education
- Public & State controlled institutions of higher education
For more information, visit https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=334717