Avangrid Foundation is excited to launch Wildlife Rehabilitation Grant Program to support local organizations caring for injured wildlife, promoting public outreach and education about wildlife resources and renewable energy, and strengthening relationships with the environmental community where the company operates.
Avangrid Foundation is independent, pro-bono, mission-driven, 501(c)(3) organization that serves as the primary philanthropic arm of AVANGRID in the United States, with a focus on building sustainable communities and helping at-risk “persons” (and wildlife!).
In collaboration with the family of companies, including the Wildlife Protection Program (WPP) team, the Foundation provides opportunities for wildlife rehabilitators to apply for grants to support their operational capabilities and expand outreach to communities historically in and around the utility service areas and wind and solar facilities. Numerous rehabilitation centers nationwide, which treat a variety of injured wildlife – from mammals to reptiles to birds – have received funding from the Avangrid Foundation to help improve care and services since 2016.
- The goals of the grants include:
- Support community/regional wildlife rehabilitation centers caring for injured wildlife.
- Support outreach to the public to improve knowledge and awareness of wildlife resources and renewable energy; through providing information, training, and resources.
- Foster a relationship with rehabilitation centers to enhance mutual awareness, aid their understanding of the value of energy/renewable energy, and strengthen relationships with the environmental community where they have an operating presence.
- Art & Culture
- The Avangrid Foundation recognizes the importance of preserving and protecting diversity and uniqueness, as well as cultural and artistic wealth, and does so by promoting conservation and restoration.
- They are committed to advancing arts, heritage, and culture in support of vibrant and sustainable communities by providing access to the most disadvantaged populations.
- Environment, Biodiversity, & Climate Action
- The Avangrid Foundation promotes environmental sustainability and protection in the active prevention of climate change through investing in areas including green infrastructure and affordable clean energy; environmental conservation, protection and access; biodiversity; and terrestrial, marine and coastal habitat restoration.
- Higher Education, Training, and Research
- The Avangrid Foundation is committed to supporting equitable education access across the United States. As well as the attainment, talent development, training, and advancement of scientific research and innovation that will drive the energy industry and sustainable communities of the future, focusing on undergraduate, graduate, post-graduate, and workforce development.
- Community Partnerships & Social Action
- The Avangrid Foundation is dedicated to contributing to sustainable human development and human rights through investments that reduce poverty and improve the quality of life for the most disadvantaged, underserved, or at-risk people in the communities, with a special focus on children, youth, women, critically ill, and other-abled individuals. Some of the programs they support provide access to basic services and promote youth education, economic inclusion, and gender equality.
- They are committed to ensuring the health and safety of individuals and communities, including disaster preparedness and prevention.
- Eligible 501(c)(3) organizations or qualified entities may apply.
- Organizations whose primary mission includes wildlife rehabilitation.
- Organizations with more than one year of operating activity.
- Organizations that hold current, applicable permits from the appropriate agencies to handle and rehabilitate wildlife.
- Preference may be given to:
- Organizations operating in proximity to where AVANGRID has an operating presence.
- Organizations that rehabilitate avifauna, including raptors, other large birds & shorebirds
- Organizations that rehabilitate/protect bats
- Organizations that rehabilitate threatened and endangered wildlife (all)
- Organizations that rehabilitate marine life
For more information, visit Avangrid Foundation.