Deadline: 7 February 2017
The United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women) is seeking proposals for its “Evaluation of UN Women´s Fund for Gender Equality” to achieve gender equality and the empowerment of women.
The mandate and functions of UN Women call for the promotion of organizational and UN system accountability on gender equality through evaluation, strengthening evaluation capacities and learning from evaluation, and developing systems to measure the results and impact of UN-Women with its enhanced role at the country, regional and global levels.
UN Women’s multi-donor Fund for Gender Equality (FGE) was launched in 2009 to fast-track commitments to gender equality focused on women’s economic and political empowerment at local, national and regional levels.
- Programmes focused on women’s political empowerment (WPE) aim to increase women’s political participation and good governance to ensure that decision-making processes are participatory, gender responsive, equitable and inclusive, increasing women’s leadership and influence over decision-making in all spheres of life, and transforming gender equality policies into concrete systems for implementation to advance gender justice.
- Grants awarded for women’s economic empowerment (WEE) seek to substantially increase women’s access to and control over economic decision-making, land, labor, livelihoods and other means of production and social protections, especially for women in situations of marginalization.
- Assess the relevance of the Fund and grantees’ approach and contributions to promoting gender equality and women’s rights and empowerment since its creation in 2009 in alignment with UN Women’s Strategic Plan, and under a human rights and gender responsiveness modality.
- Assess the added value of the Fund’s contribution to UN Women’s mandate and desired results with regards to:
- enhancing WPE and WEE,
- strengthening civil society organizations through a demand-driven approach,
- serving as a complementary modality to UN Women’s regular programming.
- Assess the Fund’s organizational efficiency to achieve results, build capacities, generate knowledge and build networks, including the extent to which the size of grants has a particular effect.
- Assess how the Fund’s work has informed and influence UN Women’s decision-making, planning and programming in the areas of women’s economic and political empowerment, civil society strengthening/engagement, and other cross-cutting issues (i.e. gender and climate change, women and ICTs, youth, and engaging men and boys).
- Document good practices and lessons learned to inform and strengthen future UN Women’s policy and programming for WPE and WEE and from an institutional perspective on leveraging UN Women trust funds most effectively.
- Provide actionable recommendations with respect to the Fund’s strategy, approaches and UN Women’s overall approach to the Fund.
- Women’s Economic and Political Empowerment
- Strengthening Civil Society working for gender equality
- FGE’s grant-making model
The Fund provides multi-year grants ranging from US $200,000 – US $1 million directly to women’s organizations in developing countries; it is dedicated to advancing the economic and political empowerment of women around the world, specifically those in marginalized and vulnerable positions.
The targeted audience of the evaluation includes: UN Women, grantees, donors, civil society actors (specifically women-led organizations), development actors, and gender equality advocates.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted via email at the address given on the website.
For more information, please visit Request for Proposals.