The Sam L. Cohen Foundation is seeking applications for its Grant Program to benefit individuals living in southern Maine may request support by applying for a responsive grant.
Priority will be given to organizations and projects that:
- support the underserved, disadvantaged, or those who do not have the resources to provide opportunities for themselves
- make a significant difference in people’s lives, assuring them a fulfilling and productive future
- promote human rights and understanding among peoples, address racial and religious discrimination and hatred, and foster peace through education
- demonstrate a broad base of community support, and/or
- Use collaboration as a means to leverage resources.
The Foundation funds in five program areas:
- Arts and Culture
- Civic and Community
- Health and Human Services
- Jewish Culture and Traditions
- The Sam L. Cohen Foundation will consider responsive grant requests for amounts up to $50,000; however, the average grants size awarded is less than $15,000.
Types of Programs the Foundation will Support?
- The Foundation will support new programs, on-going programs, and capital improvements. The Foundation will support general operations to organizations whose overall mission aligns with the Foundation’s giving priorities.
Types of Programs the Foundation will not support?
- In general, the Foundation will not support annual fund appeals, endowments, and projects requiring a multi-year commitment. Typically grants will not be awarded to the same organization in two consecutive years.
- Organizations that have received a prior grant from the Foundation are not eligible to submit another application until the Foundation directors have received a written report of the results of previously funded projects.
- must be a 501(c)(3) nonprofit; using a fiscal agent that is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit; a church, synagogue, temple or mosque; or a political subdivision of the State of Maine that is exempt from federal tax
- must be located in and/or provide programs or services with direct impact on people in Cumberland and/or York counties, Maine
- must have submitted the final grant report if you received a grant previously from the Foundation
- must not have received a grant from the Foundation in the previous calendar year
For more information, visit https://www.samlcohenfoundation.org/eligibility-priorities