Deadline: 11 September 2019
Are you a Canadian entrepreneur or private company? Do you have a BREAKTHROUGH energy technology or solution that has the potential to significantly reduce global GHG emissions? Are you looking for investors? Have a solution in one of the following technology areas: Manufacturing, Electricity, Transportation, and Buildings? If yes, then this may be the opportunity for you!
In partnership with Breakthrough Energy, this Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) led call for proposals will leverage financing and expertise to support the advancement of Canadian clean energy technologies that can significantly reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
The up to $30M Breakthrough Energy Solutions Canada investment under the Energy Innovation Program, in partnership with Breakthrough Energy (BE), will be delivered through a targeted funding call that leverages public and private financing and expertise to support the advancement of Canadian clean energy technologies that have the potential to significantly reduce (GHG) emissions.
Objectives & Scope
- This program intends to bridge the gap between public and private capital to advance breakthrough technologies that have the potential to significantly reduce global greenhouse gas emissions. This call is targeting “breakthrough” energy technologies that will:
- decrease the carbon intensity of a GHG emitting product or system; and/or
- increase the deployment and/or improve the performance of an existing low GHG product or system; and/or
- introduce a new low GHG product into the market; and/or
- introduce a systems-level or structural change that enables the above.
- Successful recipients will have to demonstrate how, if highly successful and adopted globally, they have the potential to reduce GHG emissions, by 0.5GT/year globally, in the following focus areas:
- Manufacturing – alternative cost-effective low carbon methods for production of key manufacturing materials such as steel, hydrogen, cement, ammonia and direct air carbon capture and utilization.
- Electricity – ultra low-cost carbon-free generation; dispatchable carbon-free generation; next-generation ultra-flexible grid management, and low-cost transmission for transferring bulk power between independently operated grids.
- Transportation – passenger & freight transportation efficiency solutions, battery technologies, high-speed charging technologies and other enabling technologies to accelerate electric vehicle adoption; advanced materials; and low emission liquid fuels.
- Buildings – advanced low carbon building solutions and construction techniques, intelligent buildings, and next generation heating and cooling technologies.
NRCan is making available a total investment of up to $30M over 2 years (April 1, 2020 to March 31, 2022) to successful Breakthrough Energy Solution projects.
- With the objective of bridging the gap between public and private capital to advance breakthrough technologies that have the potential to significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a privately-held legal entity validly incorporated or registered in Canada;
- Entrepreneur or Start-up seeking Seed or Series A or Series B funding;
- Own or have licensing rights to the IP related to the technology outlined in the proposal;
- Technology must be at a Technology Readiness Level between 4 and 8, see Appendix A for TRL definitions; and
- Project must be ready to start by April 1, 2020 with tangible performance targets to achieve within the 2-year funding period.
- Preference may also be given to companies that demonstrate the following:
- Demonstration of Revenue; or
- Previously secured investment of at least $500,000 in the company; or
- Significant co-founding partner (e.g., Adopter) on the proposed project
How to Apply
Applicants are required to complete the program’s Self-Assessment Survey via given website in order to proceed to the full proposal phase.
For more information, please visit https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/breakthrough