Applications are now open for the City of Los Angeles Individual Master Artist Project (COLA-IMAP) Grant Program. The Program allows accomplished artists to create a new “mid-career” solo work with freedom to re-focus on themselves and their core impulses.
Approximately 6-12 COLA-IMAP grant-contracts will be offered for designers / visual artists (including architects, graphic designers, and product designers including fashion designers), literary artists (poets or fiction writers) and performing artists (including choreographers who wish to make and perform individual dance works, musicians who wish to compose and perform individual music works, and multi-disciplinary theater artists who wish to invent and perform solo works).
The Department of Cultural Affairs (DCA) will organize an online and / or printed catalog to promote the entire set of COLA-IMAP grantees as “creative treasures” and document / market the group as one cross-section of the exciting Los Angeles art scene .
DCA and community partners will also attempt to showcase a curated selection of each master-artist’s new work in either a gallery exhibition or performing arts showcase.
The City of Los Angeles Individual Master Artist Project (COLA-IMAP) grant category honors a spectrum of the City’s avant-garde artists who:
- Are dedicated to an ongoing body of excellent work.
- Represent a relevant progression through their pieces or series over the past 15 years (or 8 years for a dancer-choreographer).
- Exemplify a generation of core ideas in their field.
- Are respected by their peers and are role models for other artists because of their distinguished record.
- Amount: $ 10,000
Competitive applicants are:
- Individual artists or an independent duos, who are professional masters of self-evolved ideas (not curators, presenters, or interpreters of other artists’ works, and not artists who have primarily built their credentials within collaborative groups or within social practices – “group- process ”artists are only eligible to apply in DCA’s Neighborhood Engagement Artist Residency (NEAR) category since COLA is not a category for group-projects)
- Current residents of Los Angeles County, who also demonstrate on their resumes that they either live in the City of Los Angeles or have a 3 or more year history of presenting work in the City of Los Angeles.
- Professionals who illustrate on their resume at least 15 years (8 years for choreographer-dancers) of a progressive, ongoing exhibition, publication, or performance record. This may include post-secondary student presentations and does not need to be 15 (or 8) consecutive years.
For more information, visit https://culturela.org/grants/cola-individual-artist-fellowship/