Opportunity Funds has been announced which is a program of the United States Department of State aimed at outstanding high school students who wish to pursue their undergraduate university career in the United States but who need financial aid to cover the initial costs of the application and admission process to the universities.
The program provides specialized advice throughout the process and covers the prior application costs such as the preparation and cost of the required international exams, the translations of the necessary documents, the expenses of the student visa and the international passage, among others.
Expenses covered by the Opportunity Fund program:
- Weekly meetings throughout the year with Education USA advisors who will guide students through the application process;
- Preparation and registration for the exams of:
- TOEFL or IELTS;
- SAT or ACT;
- SAT Subject Tests (3 of your choice);
- Travel expenses to cover 2-5 trips to Montevideo during the days of the exams;
- Translation and delivery of all documents required by the universities;
- Enrollment at the universities chosen by the students (application fee);
- Student visa and SEVIS fee;
- Passage to the US from Montevideo to the university where the student will study;
- Travel expenses to cover expenses for the month of arrival in the US.
- Have the desire to pursue a 4-year college degree in the US;
- Be an Uruguayan citizen and reside in Uruguay;
- Be a student of a public high school, public-private management, UTU, or private high school with a scholarship of 90% or more;
- Have completed 4th, 5th or 6th year of high school in 2020 (Note: students who have completed 6th must be willing to take a gap year in 2021);
- Have an academic average of 10 or higher;
- Have an English level equivalent to B2 (FCE) or higher (it is not necessary to have taken the international exam);
- Demonstrate leadership skills and participate in extracurricular or community service activities;
- Demonstrate limited financial solvency to cover the costs of applying to universities in the United States;
- Commit to dedicating 10 or more hours per week to the program for the duration of the program;
- Commit to staying in the United States until college is completed.
How To Apply
- Complete and send the application form to the program (in English). In the form, you will find the instructions of everything that must be submitted.
- Make a presentation video of 1 to 2 minutes that must be uploaded to YouTube.
- Send the following documentation to them before 11:59 PM on November 30, 2020.
- Schooling or transcripts corresponding to the last three years of study.
- Authorization signed by the father, mother or guardian to participate in the Opportunity Fund program.
Important: the student can choose any professional career, except for areas related to health or law.
For more information, visit https://uy.usembassy.gov/es/fondos-de-oportunidad-convocatoria-a-postulantes-2021/