The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), with the support of USAID Bureau of Humanitarian Affairs (BHA) and in partnership with the Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security (MAFS), are looking for South Sudan’s brightest and newest ideas on how to tackle hunger, improve food security and strengthen food systems.
The IGNITE Food Systems Challenge is a first of its kind initiative to support South Sudanese entrepreneurs and their businesses. The Challenge will provide a platform for youth to pitch and showcase their businesses to win both financial and technical support. With this program, WFP, UNDP and its partners seek to foster an enabling environment for start-ups and SMEs in South Sudan to scale into commercially viable businesses that contribute to the economy while creating a positive impact in society by addressing different gaps in the food system.
- Funding: Apply to receive up to $40,000 in equity-free funding
- Access to WFP & our Partners: Teams will work with WFP, UNDP, and our expert entrepreneur support partners
- Bespoke, Flexible Support: You’ll have the chance to request specific support on what your business needs most, with a bespoke curriculum and direct connections with experts and mentors to troubleshoot challenges your business is facing to scale
- Networking and exposure: Teams will be able to tap into and leverage our strong network of public, private, and government partners, and the power of the combined brands
How it Works
- Apply for the program: Help us get to know your vision, your team, and tell us why your venture should be chosen
- Take the stage at an exclusive pitch event: If shortlisted, you’ll have the chance to pitch your project to an audience of potential partners, investors, and officials at an exclusive, invite-only pitch event. Tell your story and compete for non-dilutive cash awards. We provide dedicated coaching and mentorship to help you develop and refine your winning pitch.
- Acceleration: Winning teams from the pitch event will receive up to US $40,000 in funding, world-class mentors, bespoke programming, and exposure to WFP’s vast field operations over a 6-month period.
- Have a valid business license for operating in South Sudan.
- Have annual revenue turnover of at least 5,000 USD equivalent for the previous year
- Be at least 3 full-time working members/ founders dedicated to the business.
- At least 50% of the senior management/ founding team is from South Sudan.
- Based and operating in South Sudan.
WFP is especially looking for businesses that already have developed proofs of concept/ minimum viable products and are looking to scale up their ideas! If you are youth-led (between the ages of 18 and 35) and women-led start-ups, we would love to specifically encourage you to apply!
For more information, visit https://vc4a.com/wfp-innovation-hub-for-eastern-africa/ignite-south-sudan/