The Community One Foundation is seeking nominations for The Steinert & Ferreiro Award, a $10,000 prize that is Canada’s largest single cash award in recognition of LGBTQ+ leadership which was launched in 2005 through a bequest from the estates of Jonathan R. Steinert and Fernando Gumercindo Ferreiro.
Community contribution and leadership are at the heart of the LGBTTIQQ2S community, with leaders often working quietly to achieve growth, understanding, and change.
The Steinert & Ferreiro Award celebrates these unsung heroes of the community. An individual will be presented with a commemorative award and a $10,000 cash prize. The recipient must agree to accept the award in-person and be publicly acknowledged for their contribution.
The 2020 Steinert & Ferreiro Award will be given out on November 5, 2020, at the Canadian LGBT+ Chamber of Commerce’s virtual Black and White Gala.
- All individuals who have made a significant contribution through the arts and sciences in promoting the understanding and acceptance of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, transsexual, intersex, queer, and two-spirited communities in the Greater Toronto Area are eligible to be nominated.
- The arts and sciences may include the humanities (literature, philosophy, etc.), the social sciences (law, psychology, politics, history, social work, community development, etc.), fine arts (music, theatre, film, etc.), and physical sciences (engineering, biology, medicine, etc.).
- Unsuccessful nominations can be eligible for consideration for the following year’s award by checking the appropriate box at the bottom of the nomination form.
Nominate someone in 4 easy steps
The 2020 Steinert & Ferreiro Award nomination period is now open.
- STEP 1: Fully complete the Nomination Form; the Nominee and the Nominators must sign the Nomination Form in the signature boxes provided.
- STEP 2: Write a 1,000-2,000 word letter outlining the individual’s accomplishments and significant contributions to the LGBTTIQQ2S community, with three people signing the letter (can be the nominators or others).
- STEP 3: Gather letters supporting this application from 2-4 other individuals or organizations that are acquainted with this individual’s work and contributions.
- STEP 4: Send the completed nomination submission by email or by mail.
Award Announcement and Presentation
- The 2020 Steinert & Ferreiro Award will be given out on November 5, 2020, at the Canadian LGBT+ Chamber of Commerce’s virtual Black and White Gala.
- To qualify for nomination of the Steinert & Ferreiro Award, the nominee must be physically present for the granting event if selected for the award and must sign the nomination form to indicate agreement to attend the event (or agree to pre-record acceptance ahead of the virtual event held in 2020 due to COVID limitations).
For more information, visit http://communityone.ca/grants-awards/