The Award recognises the best examples of investigative reporting in South African in the previous calendar year. The Award can be made to a journalist or team of journalists. It can be for a single story or a series of stories published or broadcast in the previous year (please do not include pieces from earlier years, though where relevant they can be referred to in your motivation).
The motivation is extremely important as it should ensure the judges are fully aware of the work that went into the story, risks taken, its originality, context and impact.
Winners will be chosen by a panel of judges who have discretion to set and use criteria they consider to be appropriate and reasonable.
- The top prize is R200 000 and the runner-up wins R100 000.
- The Award is open to all journalists (which includes those who work in broadcast, online and photography) for stories about South Africa published or broadcast during 2022.
- No publisher or broadcaster can submit more than three entries from their staff. No individual journalist may be part of more than two entries. Any individual or organisation may make a nomination.
Entries must include:
- An electronic copy of the entry material as published/broadcast. If the original is reduced in size it must be accompanied by a readable Word/PDF document version.
- Material that is not in English must be accompanied by an English translation or transcript.
- A 100-word biography and photo of each entrant.
- A high-res copy of the publication/broadcaster’s logo.
- A short motivation for the entry (maximum 500 words), including any background the judges should be aware of, an indication of the impact of the story and details of any significant challenge to the accuracy or fairness of the entry such as published letters, corrections, retractions, formal complaints or continuing court cases.
- Broadcast entries must include a short video clip of the story for publicity purposes.
- All entries must be received by the Wits Centre for Journalism by 14H00 on 10 February, 2023.
- No late entries will be accepted. Entrants will receive an acknowledgement of their entry within 48 hours.
- Please pay close attention to these guidelines as entries may be excluded if they do not comply.
For more information, visit Wits Centre for Journalism.