The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is inviting nominations for the 2022 Nansen Refugee Award. Nominate now if you know an inspiring individual or group making a difference.
Every year, UNHCR searches for a person or an organization with exceptional dedication and commitment in supporting people who are refugees, internally displaced or stateless.
The laureate or the winning organization receives US $ 150,000 to invest in their humanitarian work. Additionally, four regional winners from each global region outside of the laureate’s region are selected and honored with a certificate and a local event.
- When reviewing nominations, the following criteria is considered:
- Candidates may be individuals, groups or organizations. Every Nansen Refugee Award laureate and regional winners spend an extraordinary amount of time and effort to help the forcibly displaced:
- The nominee’s work goes beyond the call of duty and outside of normal activities;
- The nominee’s work demonstrates courage – they might at times face personal risk for his / her / their work;
- The nominee’s work has a direct positive impact on the lives of forcibly displaced or stateless people;
- The work is connected to a major displacement issue or situation.
- Nominators: Anyone may submit a candidate for the Nansen Refugee Award. They welcome the nomination of any deserving individual, group or organization. Finalists from previous year are still eligible. Please note self-nominations are strongly discouraged.
- Eligibility: Current or former UNHCR employees are ineligible.
- References: Three references must be provided. References should be diversely selected (not all from the same organization or group). The nomination will be ineligible without three referees.
- The Nansen Refugee Award Selection Committee is an independent body which selects the annual laureate and four regional winners.
- Please note that the selection process remains strictly confidential, and no information regarding the status of your appointment will be released.
- The 2022 the laureate and regional winners will be announced in September 2022.
For more information, visit https://www.unhcr.org/nominate