Deadline: 8 July 2019
The National Geographic Society (NGS) and Microsoft’s AI for Earth Innovation program are inviting proposals to support novel projects that create and deploy AI tools to improve the way they monitor, model, and ultimately manage Earth’s natural systems for a more sustainable future.
The grants given by the partnership will support projects that create and deploy open source trained models and algorithms that make key analytical processes more efficient in the environmental field. Microsoft will help the successful proposals make the completed models available for use by other environmental researchers and innovators.
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
To qualify, applications should outline a proposal to use AI for conservation in at least one of the following core areas:
- Climate change: Countries and communities around the world are engaged in climate resilience, adaptation, and mitigation efforts. AI can help in areas such as:
- Extreme weather and climate modeling
- Sustainable land-use change
- Ecosystem services (including carbon sequestration and afforestation/reforestation)
- Resilience to extreme-event impacts (droughts, floods, disasters, etc.)
- Agriculture: Agriculture must transition to a more sustainable model with lower environmental impact. AI can help in areas such as:
- Land-use planning and management
- Precision agriculture
- Natural resource conservation
- Sustainable supply chains
- Climate-resilient agriculture
- Water efficiency and management
- Biodiversity: Species are going extinct at alarming rates, driving the decay of key ecosystem services like pollination on which humans depend. AI can help in areas like:
- Habitat protection and restoration
- Sustainable trade
- Invasive species and disease control
- Pollution control
- Realizing natural capital
- Water: Management of the world’s freshwater supply needs to anticipate climate change impacts as well as increasing demand. AI can help in areas such as:
- Extreme-event impacts on water supply (droughts, floods, disasters, etc.)
- Water supply (including catchment control)
- Water quality and sanitation
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
Proposals may request $5,000 to $100,000. The budgets of successful proposals will include reasonable, well-justified costs directly required to complete the project.
Project Requirements: All models supported through this grant must be open source, and grant recipients must be willing to publicly share their models for use by other environmental researchers and their data for use by the National Geographic Society.
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
- The National Geographic Society recommend that the main applicant has a demonstrated background in environmental science and/or technology, and that at least one member of the team has strong enough technical skills to complete the project successfully.
- Applicants can be affiliated with an academic institution, nonprofit organization, government entity, environmental startup, or an innovative project within a company.
How to Apply
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.
Interested applicants can submit their proposal online via given website.
For more information, please visit https://bit.ly/2KxiW88
(Ad) How to raise funds? Where can I find a list of donors for my area of work? How to write proposals? How can I submit a grant request to USAID, the European Commission or the Gates Foundation? How can I use Social Media to promote my work? We have developed powerful resources in the form of Ebook and Articles covering all this information and more. Learn more.