Deadline: 5 June 2020
Local governance actors face enormous challenges in fragile and conflict-affected countries. Often, human and financial resources are scarce, the collaboration between the state and the citizens is weak, social cohesion and trust in society has deteriorated and the central government is weak or absent.
(Ad) Still, finding it difficult to find new grants and donors to support your work? No way to easily search and identify upcoming funding opportunities? No idea how to raise funds? We have a solution for you. Our Premium Membership service answers all your questions. Learn more.
Despite these challenges, local governance remains the level where the state and citizens interact. This provides an entry point for development assistance and inclusive governance to support sustainable peace. At the same time, several conditions are necessary for stability including the prevention of conflict, reduction of violence, strengthening the collaboration between the state and the citizens, social cohesion, delivering inclusive economic development, and accountable governance.
To discuss how local governance can be more effective in addressing the root causes of conflict and achieve resilient and sustainable peace, The Hague Academy will convene a one-week course on Sustaining Peace and Local Governance. The training will take place from 6 to 10 July 2020.
(Ad) Too many advertisements on this website? Get an ad-free and fully optimized website experience to find grants and donors of your interest. Premium Membership service offers a clean and user-friendly interface for you to raise funds successfully! Learn more.
Participants will be challenged on the following core questions:
- How can local governance promote conditions for sustainable peace?
- What lessons can be learnt from local governance actors’ approaches to sustaining peace in different fragile settings?
- How can development partners improve the effectiveness of their support for local governance in fragile settings?
- In what ways can decentralization contribute to sustaining peace and what is the specific role of local governments in this process?
The course will provide insights on the nexus between decentralization, local governance and sustaining peace. Participants will compare and discuss the effectiveness of the different approaches used by development partners to support local governance in fragile and conflict-affected countries and how to make them more effective. Examples of lessons learned will include cases from the Middle East, North Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa.
(Ad) Premium Membership offers unlimited search options to find your grants and donors. Search by country or thematic area of your work interest or even by keyword. View the number of open grants for your country. on a Google Map. Keep a watch on grant deadlines through a calendar. Learn more.
This interactive course requires participants to actively exchange their experiences and engage with their peers on various topics. At the end of this course, applicants will be able to:
(Ad) Too many emails about grants, but too few leads? Join Premium and use our Specific Email Alerts feature where you can select your country/countries and thematic areas of work interest and receive grant information accordingly. Learn more.
- Discuss the role of local governance in sustaining peace in fragile settings;
- Identify under what conditions decentralization in fragile settings can contribute to sustaining peace;
- Identify governance approaches and modalities for local service delivery in relation to sustaining peace;
- Recognize the impact of peace interventions and the role of inclusive local economic development in fragile settings;
- Advise local government actors on how to create and maintain conditions necessary for sustainable and resilient peace; and
- Develop ideas for evaluating peace intervention at the local level to improve learning and accountability.
After successful graduation from this course, applicants will receive a professional certificate of completion from The Hague Academy for Local Governance.
(Ad) Our Premium Donor Search feature works like a mini-search engine. As soon as you define the search criteria and click on search, it scans the internet for the best possible matches of donor agencies based according to your interest and presents a list that you need. Learn more.
This training is designed for the staff of donor and development organizations, NGOs, ministries and local governments. It is also aimed at practitioners who wish to remain well-informed about the local dimensions of sustaining peace in fragile and conflict-affected settings.
For more information, visit https://thehagueacademy.com/blog/2019/02/summercourse-sustaining-peace-and-local-governance-2/
(Ad) Lots of grant opportunities but no idea how to write a proposal to apply for them? We have a huge collection of sample proposals available only for Premium Members. You can view these proposals and even request for download. Get ideas from other successful grantees and write your proposal quickly. Learn more.