Deadline: 1 May 2020
The flagship event of the New Leaders Initiative is the Brower Youth Awards, which has recognized outstanding youth leaders who are making strides in the environmental movement.
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
- Leadership: The Brower Youth Awards are looking to recognize the leader of a group or an effort. While they will consider applicants who are implementing individual efforts, it is their tendency to focus on leaders of groups and efforts.
- Research and science fair projects: Many research and science fair projects are individual and/or one–time efforts. As such, they are difficult to compare to the leadership of on-going projects. They will not consider applicants who are implementing research and science fair projects, unless it is part of ongoing environmental efforts involving a larger group.
- Earth Day and one-time conferences: They understand the impact and necessity of Earth Day, conferences and one–time gatherings. However, they typically will not consider one–time gatherings for the award, unless the event produced long–term measurable impacts in which you have continued to play a significant leadership role.
Each of the six recipients of the Brower Youth Awards will receive a $3,000 cash prize, a professionally produced short film about their work from an Emmy award winning film crew, and flight and lodging accommodations for a week long trip to the San Francisco Bay Area.
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
During their stay in California, the recipients will participate in a coaching, visioning, leadership activities, speaking and media engagements. NLI invests in their continued success by providing ongoing access to resources, mentors, and opportunities to develop leadership skills. The week of activities culminates in the awards ceremony in front of more than 800 guests in San Francisco on October 13, 2020.
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
- Youth environmental change leaders ages 13 to 22 (as of May 1, 2020) living in North America (including Mexico, Canada, some Caribbean Islands) and US “Territories” are encouraged to apply.
Applicants are assessed on the following criteria:
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.
- Outstanding Youth Leadership: You played the major leadership role in creating, organizing and implementing your project or campaign(s).
- Issue & Approach: Your project is applying fresh solutions and approach to relevant environmental challenges.
- Project Impact, Scalability, & Replicability: Is the project’s impact significant? Can your work be used as a model for other communities or campuses?
- Charisma, Personal Commitment & Trajectory: What draws you to this work? What would winning the Brower Youth Award mean to you?
How to Apply
- You must complete your own application. Parents, friends, mentors, teachers, etc. must not complete it for you.
- In addition to meeting award eligibility requirements and following all instructions to complete the online application, each applicant must submit:
- Photograph of yourself.
- If you are a semifinalist, you will be asked for a letter of support from someone who is familiar with you and your environmental work (cannot be from a parent or guardian).
Eligible Countries: Antigua & Bermuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Canada Costa Rica, Cuba Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Haiti , Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, United States of America, Greenland
(Ad) How to raise funds? Where can I find a list of donors for my area of work? How to write proposals? How can I submit a grant request to USAID, the European Commission or the Gates Foundation? How can I use Social Media to promote my work? We have developed powerful resources in the form of Ebook and Articles covering all this information and more. Learn more.
For more information, visit http://www.broweryouthawards.org/apply/#overview