Deadline: 30 September 2017
Applications are open for “The Africa Art Box Award” which is a support system for digital creation and offers award-winning artists the opportunity to realize their creative project in an international, collaborative space and surrounded by an experienced and multidisciplinary team.
The Theme of the competition is open, however, participants are encouraged to reflect on the current technological changes and its impact in the societies.
- The winning artist will receive a creative residency for a period of 45 days in the international digital art center Plataforma Bogota, an interactive art, science and technology laboratory, offering the opportunity to complete their creative project.
- For the finalist artists, their works selected by the jury will be exhibited during the award ceremony held in Dakar (Senegal).
- The winning project in its final version of the creation residence, as well as the selected finalist works, will be integrated into the Africa Art Box digital art collection and will be distributed through a traveling exhibitions program. These exhibitions will be organized non-profitly in cultural spaces in Africa and internationally, to promote the digital art of the continent in the world.
- These works will also be shown in the online gallery which will be published on the website
- The cost of transporting selected works to Dakar is provided by the organizers. Participants grant the organizers the right to keep the work in the collection.
- The organizers reserve the right to define the museography of the exhibitions in agreement with the projects and the spaces. However, the artist can establish in his technical sheet, by means of diagrams and photographs, the particular conditions for the assembly of his work.
- All African and non-African artists living in Africa over 18 years of age are invited to participate. For non-African artists, a continuous residence of more than three years in one of the countries of the continent is requested.
- The call is open to projects with artistic motivation engaging innovative, experimental work, paying particular attention to their environment, and facilitating the transfer of knowledge and the generation of learning communities.
- Creative projects concern any artistic discipline, such as performing arts, music, visual arts (painting, sculpture, photography, …), video art, printed works, installations, Net-Art, etc. Integrating a digital process into its creation, including photo manipulation, 3D rendering, virtual and augmented reality, drawings created on phones, tablets or computers, using software or digital devices As well as sensors, among others). The use of open source software is encouraged.
- Only one project can be submitted per participant.
- Any advertising, educational or other material for non-artistic purposes is excluded.
- The proposal must be original, unpublished and must integrate digital media during its production process.
- The organizers do not assume any responsibility for the expenses incurred in entering the contest.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online via given website.
Eligible Countries: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cabo Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Cote d’Ivorie, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
For more information, please visit Africa Art Box Award.