Deadline: 30 June 2020
The African Academy of Sciences (AAS) is keen to play a central role in building African Research and Development (R&D) capacity to fight COVID-19 by managing day-to-day running of the proposed fund for COVID-19 R&D priorities in Africa.
This call supported by Sida (Sweden), Wellcome Trust, and Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is therefore a call to action for African scientists to attend to the research and development needs of the COVID-19 outbreak for the continent as identified by African scientists. There is need to provide robust scientific evidence to the country emergency response teams. The priorities listed are widely applicable across the continent yet require local context and expertise in order to address in a timely and effective manner the issues arising even as the outbreak evolves.
This call will focus on areas of priority for research and development in COVID-19 outbreak control as identified by African scientists. These areas of focus include but are not limited to;
- Epidemiological studies;
- Clinical management;
- Infection prevention and control, including health care protection;
- Candidate vaccines, diagnostics and therapeutics;
- Ethical considerations for research;
- Social sciences in a pandemic response.
The maximum amount allowable for a single grant is US$200,000 to be held for two (2) years.
Funding may be requested for an implementation period of up to two years (24 months).
- Is a legal entity;
- Is based in Africa.
- Projects that do not primarily respond to the research and development goals of the COVID-19 public health outbreak response;
- Projects focussing on implementation or delivery services for the COVID-19 outbreak control;
- Projects solely focused on network building, capacity building and infrastructure projects without a working hypothesis;
- Complex and high-risk projects that cannot be undertaken within the 24 months available;
- Projects with minimal contribution towards the R&D priorities of the COVID-19 outbreak.
For more information, visit https://www.aasciences.africa/calls/funding-covid-19-research-development-goals-africa