Deadline: 31 August 2016
Applications are open for the 2016 Guangzhou International Award co-sponsored by the United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG), the World Association of the Major Metropolises (Metropolis), and the City of Guangzhou with an aim to recognize innovation in improving social, economic and environmental sustainability in cities and regions and, in so doing, to advance the prosperity and life quality of their citizens.
- Recognize innovation as a key contributing factor in meeting the social, economic, environmental and governance challenges facing a rapidly changing world.
- Promote the sharing and exchange of lessons learned from successful innovation.
- Provide a platform for the documentation, dissemination and analysis of the local implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- The Guangzhou Award will be discerned to 5 cities for each award cycle.
- Each of the winning cities will receive a USD 20,000 cash prize, a trophy and a commemorative certificate.
- The winners of the Guangzhou Award are also invited to attend special events including the Guangzhou International Conference on Urban Innovation, an exhibition and the award ceremony.
- The Guangzhou Award is open to all cities and regions worldwide, including members of UCLG and Metropolis.
- An initiative that is entered for the Guangzhou Award should meet the following criteria:
- It should be an original undertaking such as a new policy, project, business model or practice that promotes social, economic and/or environmental sustainability in a city or region;
- It should be an ongoing or recently completed initiative (within the past two years);
- It should provide evidence and/or indicators of substantial impact and/or success in meeting the initiative’s stated objective(s). Cities and local authorities are encouraged to submit several initiatives that support a given policy including those that are implemented in collaboration with private and civil society partners.
- The Guangzhou Award recognizes innovations in various thematic areas and domains. As a general guideline, innovative initiatives may be recognized within the social, cultural, economic, environmental, governance and technological domains of sustainability, including
- Infrastructure and public services
- Participatory planning and good governance
- Social inclusion and gender equality
- Submissions that do not succeed in being selected for the Guangzhou Award may re-submit in subsequent cycles should there be new evidence or indicators of impact or change.
How to Apply
Applicants must apply online via given website.
For more information,please visit Guangzhou International Award.