Deadline: 21 May 2017
The Safe Abortion Action Fund (SAAF) is currently accepting applications from eligible organizations for its grant programme with an aim to support local and grassroots organizations by providing flexible grants for projects that:
- Increase access to quality abortion services with a focus on addressing the needs of poor, vulnerable and hard to reach women and girls
- Support legal and policy reforms in countries where abortion is restricted
- Tackle negative societal norms and attitudes towards abortion, in order to create an enabling environment that ensures every woman and girl has access to quality abortion services
- Generate and disseminate evidence to improve the quality and effectiveness of abortion programming and advocacy strategies
- Supporting progressive abortion laws and policies through targeted advocacy
- Breaking the silence and changing attitudes and norms towards abortion through awareness raising and behaviour change
- Improving access to safe abortion services
- Generating understanding and evidence on abortion through research
The maximum grant will be US$130,000 for up to two years. Projects will start no earlier than 1st October 2017.
- Only local and grassroots organisations registered in countries (mentioned below) will be eligible for funding.
- SAAF will give priority to least developed and low-income countries , conflict areas and countries with high levels of unsafe abortion.
- SAAF can fund projects led by individual organisations, a group of organisations or national and regional networks based in the Global South.
- Organisations without a formal registration will be allowed to apply if they have a fiscal sponsor. A fiscal sponsor is a registered organisation that will sign the contract with SAAF on the applicant´s behalf.
- The applicant and the fiscal sponsor must have a written memorandum of understanding outlining their respective roles and responsibilities.
- The fiscal sponsor must be based in one of the eligible countries (preferably in the same country as the applicant). The fiscal sponsor will be subjected to due diligence checks by the SAAF Secretariat.
- Any project that improves the enabling environment for the promotion and delivery of safe abortion services and/or the prevention of unsafe abortion through locally-led changes in legislation, policy, service delivery and attitudes is eligible for funding.
- This may include the entire spectrum of activities from service delivery to advocacy for policy change or research. The guidelines contain some examples of the types of initiatives or strategies that could be implemented, but the list is not exhaustive.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must download the application form via given website.
- Least Developed Countries: Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea , Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Kiribati, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia.
- Other Low Income Countries: Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Kenya, Tajikistan, Zimbabwe.
- Lower Middle Income Countries: Armenia, Bolivia, Cabo Verde, Cameroon, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Egypt, El Salvador, Georgia, Ghana, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Philippines, Samoa, Sri Lanka, Swaziland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tokelau, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Viet Nam.
- Upper Middle Income Countries: Albania, Algeria, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belize, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Chile, China (People’s Republic of), Colombia, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Fiji, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Gabon, Grenada, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Marshall Islands, Montenegro, Montserrat, Namibia, Nauru, Niue, Palau, Panama, Peru, Saint Helena, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Serbia, Seychelles, South Africa, Suriname, Thailand, Tonga, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uruguay, Venezuela, Wallis and Futuna.
For more information, please visit SAAF Call for Applications.