Deadline: 7 November 2019
The Matra Fund supplements the European Commission’s efforts and aims to help countries strengthen democracy and the rule of law, thus enhance stability.
Types of Project
The Matra Programme is a demand-driven programme and therefore only supports target group initiatives. Their policy priorities and therefore, the project support is aligned with the mission statement. To be eligible for support, projects must promote the process of transformation in the following areas:
- Rule of Law: The proposal should be in line with the Stabilisation and Association Agreement and the European Reform Agenda, more specific Kosovo initiated and ongoing rule of law reforms. Overall, the project should focus on reforms that are part of the European Integration Reforms. Specific topics such as improving the functioning of the justice system, support to justice reforms, access to justice for citizens, and improving communication to the public are areas of interest for this Embassy.
- Good governance: Projects should directly improve governments service delivery to Kosovo citizens. The Embassy is focusing on the following policy fields:
- Security, with a focus on addressing root causes of violent extremism and radicalization;
- Stability, with a specific focus on strengthening regional cooperation;
- Strengthening of independent government oversight institutions and/or agencies (such as the Ombudsperson and the Anti – Corruption Agency).
- Human rights: Focus on strengthening the inclusion of different groups in society, with a special focus on the position of women and the LGBTI community. They also take proposal into consideration that focus on strengthening the role of media in regards to improving the accountability and transparency of the decision making process.
- The applicant must have a minimum yearly turnover of EUR 100.000 for at least three consecutive years.
- The project has a maximum duration of 24 months.
- Applications are only taken into consideration when the Embassy provided formats are used.
- Applications must be relevant to the specific Matra objectives as highlighted above.
- The project needs to reinvigorate the local ownership of the issue that forms the business case / reason for the project.
- The applicant should contribute to the project (financial or in kind). This needs to be specified clearly in the activities and budget overview.
- Beneficiary organisations need to provide a statement in which they underline their commitment to this project.
- Preference is given to proposals that:
- Are gender sensitive
- That take inclusiveness seriously and create equal access to project results for all groups in society. In this sense they encourage organisations to set up activities in areas where needs are higher, in some cases this means activities outside the capital
- That clearly states how the results will turn into sustainable improvements
- That are cost sensitive, whenever possible seek in kind contributions, use alliances with the business community, work with volunteers etc
- That use innovative ways to tackle issues (involve the private sector, use a broad coalition that share a common concern, make use of digital tools, have a clear media strategy
Not eligible for funding under the Matra for European Cooperation Embassy Programme:
- Humanitarian aid;
- Commercial activities;
- Business registered organisations;
- Projects with a predominantly academic focus, i.e. feasibility studies, research etc.;
- Projects that exclusively or largely include the delivery of goods or materials;
- Infrastructural or construction projects;
- Scholarships or education programmes;
- Social programmes.
How to Apply
- Applications must be submitted to the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Kosovo via email at the address given on the website.
- Applications should be submitted by the project organisers themselves, though they may be assisted by third parties, such as Dutch NGO’s.
- Applications should be submitted in the English language.
- All documents submitted for the application must be signed by the applicant.
For more information, please visit https://bit.ly/2MFt6Da