Deadline: 19 August 2019
Applications are open for Canada-UK Artificial Intelligence Initiative: building competitive and resilient economies and societies through responsible AI.
This call is funded by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC), the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) and the Medical Research Council (MRC), in collaboration with three Canadian federal research funding agencies – the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC).
The objectives of this Canada-UK initiative are to:
- Support innovative and cutting-edge interdisciplinary AI research that encourages the exploration of new interdisciplinary research methodologies, approaches and tools that cuts across at least two of the following research domains:
- Social sciences and humanities;
- Health and biomedical sciences; and
- Natural sciences and engineering (including computational and/or mathematical sciences).
- Promote the development of Responsible AI through research that includes considerations of social-cultural variables (gender, racialised identity, socio-economic status, ability, etc.), biological variables (sex) and sustainable development in the research design, to ensure that the benefits of AI technologies and tools are shared broadly across society, to mitigate against potential harms, and to enhance the trustworthiness of AI.
- Enhance existing and establish new partnerships between researchers in Canada and the UK in the area of AI research.
- Enable the creation and uptake of research outputs/outcomes with key stakeholders (ie policy makers, decision-makers) in both Canada and the UK.
- Enhance capacity for development of AI and/or its responsible applications through sharing of infrastructure and data, and joint training of early career researchers and trainees.
Funding Information and Duration
- Canadian funding
- The total amount available for the Canadian component of the team from the Canadian funding agencies is C$5.2 million, enough to fund up to approximately ten (10) projects.
- The maximum amount per project is $C173,333 per year for three years for a total of C$520,000 per project.
- UK funding
- The total amount available for the UK component of the team from the UKRI is £5 million, enough to fund up to approximately10 projects.
- UK grants will be awarded up to £625,000 at 100% full economic cost (fEC).
- Projects must be three years in duration and must start on 1 February 2020.
- For support under this call, applications must be submitted by the deadline, following all set requirements.
- Researchers may only submit one application to this call as Principal Investigator (PI), but may be involved in more applications if listed as a Co-Investigator.
- Both PIs should clearly indicate which domain they represent and what their project will focus on to ensure interdisciplinary. The UK PI and Canadian PI must represent different domains.
- A country-specific Principal Investigator from both Canada and the United Kingdom who must be clearly identified.
How to Apply
Applicants can apply online via given website.
For more information, please visit https://esrc.ukri.org/funding/funding-opportunities/canada-uk-artificial-intelligence-initiative-building-competitive-and-resilient-economies-and-societies-through-responsible-ai/