Deadline: Ongoing Opportunity
The Bernard Sunley Foundation is currently accepting applications for its Grant Program which supports charities in England and Wales working to raise the quality of life and provide greater opportunities for the young, the elderly, the disabled, and the disadvantaged.
The Foundation was established on 28th July 1960 by property developer Bernard Sunley. Bernard Sunley was a pioneer in the post-war reconstruction of Britain and an entrepreneur in the legendary mould. A self-made man from modest origins, he was an individualist, a powerhouse of energy and ability and larger than life in every way.
- They offer three levels of grants. These are large grants of £20,000 and above; medium grants of up to £20,000 and small grants of £5,000 and under.
- Their large and medium grants are considered and agreed upon at their Trustees’ meetings. Their small grants are agreed by Trustees on a monthly basis and form the majority of their grants.
- Small grants are normally awarded to projects costing £100,000 and under.
- The Trustees decide on the amount to be given so do not specify an amount unless there is a good reason for doing so – for example, you may only need a specific amount to meet your fundraising target.
What they fund?
- Capital projects which include new buildings, extensions, refurbishments and recreational spaces.
- New minibuses and other vehicles that provide a vital service to those most in need in their local community.
- Churches and other places of worship with a strong, secular community focus.
- Charities or CIOs (Charitable Incorporated Organisations) registered in England and Wales.
- Certain organisations with exempt status such as specialist schools, scout and guide groups, housing associations, cooperatives and community benefit societies.
- They usually award single year grants and occasionally multi year grants. They do not offer match funding.
- If you have been rejected you can re-apply to them 12 months after the date of your original application.
- If you have claimed a grant from them (that is, they have released your payment) then you are welcome to submit an application for a new project or new phase of your project.
- The Foundation supports applications for education and learning centres at arts organisations where there is a wide community benefit and involvement.
- They do not fund organisations with an income of £10 million or over per annum. Their Trustees prefer to support smaller organisations where their funding can have more of an impact.
- They have a preference for projects of up to £5 million. If your project costs are over £5 million but below £10 million, they ask you to call or email the office before making an application
- They do not fund projects that cost under £10,000.
For more information, visit Bernard Sunley Foundation.