Deadline: 25 August 2019
Balkan Investigative Reporting Network (BIRN) Albania has launched a call for investigative stories on labour rights. The call is held as part of the project ‘Strengthening Media’s Role in the Fight against Corruption’, supported by the Open Society Foundation in Albania.
BIRN is offering grants for three journalists to cover labour rights stories, with mentoring by experienced editors. The project aims to strengthen reporting on corruption in the country through cooperation with civil society, in order to help create a more informed citizenry that is engaged in the democratic process.
Through this competition three (3) investigative journalists will be selected to produce investigative articles in the field of labor rights, in cooperation with civil society. Winners will be selected from an independent jury composed of experienced journalists and experts in the field of organized crime.
Selected applicants who will receive a $ 1,200 (minus personal income tax) scholarship will have a three-month period available to complete their investigation and preparation of the article for publication.
Selection priority will be devoted to proposals that include one of the following topics, suggested as a priority during a round table discussion between journalists and civil society representatives organized by BIRN Albania:
- Structure and organization of Albanian trade unions and confederations;
- Immovable property management of trade unions and confederations;
- Failure to meet the conditions for a decent job in various sectors of industry, such as fashion companies, extractive industries, etc;
- Failure to comply with journalists’ employment contracts;
- Abuses with collective contracts, with special focus on state-owned enterprises;
- Mechanisms, costs and abuses with unfair dismissals from public administration;
- Women’s unpaid work;
- Efficiency and/or abuse of statistics, incentive schemes and subsidies;
- Failure to respect employment quotas for vulnerable groups such as people with disabilities, etc.
- Applicants can submit more than one application, but only one candidate proposal will be selected.
- All journalists in Albania have the right to apply, employed by other media or in the free profession.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must download the application form available on the given website.
For more information, please visit http://birn.eu.com/news-and-events/birn-albania-opens-call-for-investigations-on-labour-rights/