The Council of Europe is launching a call for grants “Support to local self-governments and/or CSOs for combating hate speech” within the framework of the European Union/Council of Europe Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Turkey II – action on “Promotion of diversity and equality in North Macedonia.”
The call aims to support selected grantees in developing concrete activities and responses on combating hate speech. Preference will be given to proposals which demonstrate strong collaboration and partnership between CSOs and local/municipal authorities.
Projects designed could address the following issues:
- Promotion of counter-narratives to existing hate speech at central/local level in North Macedonia and raising awareness about the dangers of hate speech.
- Promotion of activities aimed at improving the mechanisms for combating and preventing hate speech
- Promotion of activities aimed at combating hate speech and rumours in local communities North Macedonia
- The indicative available budget under this call for proposals is 10.000 Euros (ten thousand Euros). The Council of Europe/the European Union intends to award grants of a maximum amount of 5.000 Euros (five thousand Euros) each.
- The implementation period of the projectsshould start on 1 April 2021 and shall not extend beyond 30 June 2021 (three months).
Projects should target in particular the following key stakeholders:
- Local self-governments;
- Civil society organisations;
- Young People;
- Relevant State Institutions;
- General population.
In order to be eligible for a grant, an applicant must:
- Be legally constituted as a non-governmental organisation in North Macedonia or is a local self government;
- Be entitled to carry out the activities described in its project proposal on the territory of North Macedonia;
- Have been active for at least three years in the field of human rights/anti-discrimination;
- Have sufficient financial capacity (stable and sufficient sources of funding) to maintain its activity throughout the period for which the grant is awarded and to participate by way of its own resources (including human resources or in-kind contributions);
- Have sufficient operational and professional capacity, including staff, to carry out activities described in its project proposal;
- Have a bank account.
For more information, visit https://www.coe.int/en/web/skopje/-/call-for-proposal-support-to-local-self-governments-and-civil-society-organisations-for-combating-hate-speech