Deadline: 7 June 2019
As part of the second phase of its program “Strengthening Investigative Journalism in the Sahel”, the Norbert Zongo Cell for Investigative Journalism in West Africa (CENOZO) announces the opening of an appeal to journalistic investigation projects in Burkina Faso, in Mali and Niger.
This program aims to provide scholarships for conducting journalistic investigations to the best investigative projects in the above-mentioned countries.
- They are looking for investigations with a unique angle fueled by public interest and innovation, addressing the issues in these three Sahelian countries: Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger.
- They are looking for topics that denounce bad governance, organized crime, corruption and human rights violations in the following areas:
Illicit financial flows
- Tax evasion, Capital flight, Corruption, Drug trafficking, Contraband.
- Africa has reportedly lost more than $ 1 trillion from illegal deals over the last 50 years, according to Global Financial Integrity. This is why it is important for CENOZO to receive projects concerning illicit financial flows, be it tax evasion, capital flight, corruption, drug trafficking or smuggling.
- For civil society, it is a duty to monitor the use of public resources by the rulers. This is even more so for the media, which must make everything public in the name of the people’s right to information. If applicants have projects concerning the monitoring of public achievements (respecting budgets, deadlines, standards), they must apply.
- Gold, Manganese, Bauxite, Uranium, etc.
- The Sahel, particularly Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger, is very rich in mineral resources. The multinationals are therefore very present in the extractive industry in this region. The artisanal mining industry also does not abstain. They are looking for projects related to unfair mining contracts, the use of toxic products in mines, precarious working conditions, the use of children in mines, and so on.
- CENOZO is interested in innovating how land issues are reported in the media. They are waiting for proposals of topics concerning the expropriation of peasants, the speculation of lands, the faults of the jurisdictions, and the impact of agribusiness on the peasant world.
- If applicants have an idea for a hard-hitting article that does not fit any of the categories above, feel free to send it! They are open to receiving stories with public impact and innovative angles. Surprise them!
They allocate small grants (500 euros) and larger grants ranging from 1000 to 3500 euros available for each category!
How to Apply
Applicants must submit:
- A written project of up to 250 words clearly explaining the idea of their survey and specifying the category to which they apply.
- A preliminary estimate of the budget with a detailed breakdown of costs (eg travel expenses, catering, etc.).
- A confirmation that the article could be published in the media they are working with.
- Specify their investigation pattern and if they have documents to prove their story.
- A copy (pdf) or a link of an investigation that they have already done.
- Please complete the application template including a budget proposal and send it at the address given on the website.
For more information, please visit https://cenozo.org/en/articles/164-cenozo-lance-un-appel-a-des-projets-d-039-enquetes-journalistiques