Deadline: 27 May 2019
Applications are now open for Facebook Journalism Project (FJP) Community Network to support and connect people and organizations that are building community through local news.
The FJP Community Network will be offering grants ranging from $5,000 to $25,000 and opportunities for grant recipients to connect with industry experts to support their projects. Whether a person or publisher is trying to build a new business around memberships, report in an underserved community, or build a tool that helps local storytellers find and engage news audiences, they want to provide runway for them to serve their community. Project proposals do not require the use of Facebook tools or products.
They are partnering with The Lenfest Institute for Journalism, which will provide grant review and grantmaking support.
- Grants may be requested by for-profit and nonprofit organizations in the United States
- Grants may be requested by individuals working for nonprofit or a for-profit organization in the United States
- Project proposals do not require the use of Facebook’s tools or platform
- Applicants agree that if they are awarded a grant, Lenfest and Facebook can use data and information provided in the initial application and subsequent reporting form to share learnings with other local news organizations
- Grant applications must be submitted through the Lenfest Institute website during the open call periods
- Individuals and organizations can receive multiple grants in 2019, but priority will be given to applicants who have not previously received funding from the FJP Community Network
- Grant recipients will answer the following questions upon completion of their project:
- How would they do this project again? What changes would they make?
- As a result of this project, how many additional members of their community did they reach? Who were they and how many of them became engaged supporters?
- How did this project impact their sustainability?
- What did they learn from this project that can help others working in local news?
A selection committee composed of a multidisciplinary group of news practitioners and employees from The Lenfest Institute for Journalism and Facebook will review projects against the following criteria:
- Builds Community
- Improves Publisher Sustainability
- Covers Underserved Communities and/or News Deserts
- Clearly Defines Success
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply online via given website.
For more information, please visit https://facebookjournalismproject.com/article/facebook-journalism-project-community-network/