If your community group, non-profit organisation, church group or similar is planning to engage in community-orientated developmental activities on a small scale, you are invited to submit your application for financial support in implementing a micro-project.
The fund for micro-projects of the German Embassy was established as a part of the technical cooperation between Germany and Zambia and is part of Germany’s overall development co-operation that contributes to poverty alleviation and improvement of living standards, to cover the basic needs of the poorest social classes, especially in rural areas. It should give quick and efficient help where no funds from government institutions, other co-operating partners or civil society organisations are available.
The project must be independent and not related to any other running project within German-Zambian Bilateral Cooperation. It targets mainly at community groups/organisations, which would like to engage in developmental activities like income-generation or provision of basic services.
- Generally, up to EUR 8.500,00 (currently around ZMW 215,000) can be granted per project. In special cases the amount of support can be increased.
Examples of Projects
- Bore holes, garden projects, shelters for vulnerable children, construction/renovation of school classrooms, income-generating articles (sewing machines, tools/machines for a joinery or a locksmith’s trade) etc.
- Before the final approval of the application can be granted, a representative of the relevant German Missions have to visit the site of the project. In order that any funds can be released, a contract has to be signed by two representatives of the applying organisation and the Head of the German Mission.
- Applications received at other times will not be part of the yearly selection process, so please ensure timely submission of your application.
- The fund is aimed at sustainable, community self-help projects with a strong involvement by the implementing organisation applying for the funds. Therefore, please make sure to quantify your own contribution (cash, labour, providing premises, etc.) to the total expenditure of the project.
- Projects must be implemented and concluded within the same calendar year, including your formal proof of use of funds and concluding report. When planning your project and drafting a schedule, please keep in mind that funds will often not be available before April.
- The maximum grant is the Kwacha equivalent of Euro 20.000,00 per application. However, please note that most projects are in the region of 7.000 to 10.000 Euro.
- There is no funding of unskilled labour, staff or administration expenses or other running costs (i.e. the organisation’s overheads). The fund cannot be used for land purchases or on-going rent payments, micro-credit schemes, food, transport (incl. fuel), lodging or sitting al-lowances. There is no funding of projects serving private interests of individuals or small groups. It is not possible to fund projects that have already commenced (i.e. reimbursement of costs already incurred).
- As far as possible the materials and goods purchased for the project have to be bought in Zambia.
- Semi-financing of projects, e.g. by several donors, is not permitted, and the project may not be financed from other German sources, such as the GIZ etc. Projects shall be accounted for at the latest six months after signing the agreement. A project can only be financed once. Gender issues will receive preference during the selection process.
- Projects/items that cannot be funded include:
- Consumables, vehicles, computers, printers, television sets, private business start-ups, labour and administrative costs, travel expenditure etc.
For more information, visit German Embassy in Zambia.